Need More Hops-Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
After I found that the astronomical hoppiness of my local micro's IPA was achieved via hop-back, and it was said that you cannot achieve this level without doing it, I have searched and wondered, that if you only gain aroma and not really add to bitterness, then using leaf hops seems to be the best approach as they are fresher-not being pulverized and formed.

My guess is the leaf-in-hop-bag approach directly into the brew, after racking to a corny, may be best for me. Leaving it in till the keg is done seems the best practice.

Does anyone actually try to steam sterilize the hop/hop bag addition before adding to the keg?

Just spray the bag down with a no-rinse sanitizer of your choice and toss everything in. There's enough alcohol in the beer that any airborne bacteria aren't going to take hold, and hops don't provide a livable environment for spoilage organisms, you should be fine.

I sanitize the bag and add the hops. After a week, I'll remove the bag & check the brew. If it needs more, I'll clean the bag and add more, generally a different hop. I rarely use pellets for dryhopping.

I've found that pelletized hops actually keep better than many fresh varieties. While they are processed, that processing actually helps preserve the oils. I've had great success dry hopping with pellets, and I avoid some of the hassle of whole hops. I brewed with whole hops for several years, but switched to pellets several years ago.

TL

I've always dry-hopped with pellets with great success also. Same reasoning that TexLaw said; lesser risk of spoilage, overall freshness, greater variety, and (of course) higher concentration of the goodies.

Never used a bag with em though, always just tossed the pellets straight in, then stuck an airlock back on if the secondary was a 5gal in case some blow-off happens.

Back