Clumpy yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtg4772

Reaction score
From the vial the yeast was clumpy. And after 36 hours in the yeast starter it is still clumpy. Wtf? If the yeast is bad, can I pitch another to save this 5 gallon batch?

White labs vial, CA ale yeast, WLP051.

Some yeasts are just clumpy; I had this issue with a Belgian yeast. Fermentation went fine. As long as you are seeing activity in your starter, you should be okay. If the starter isn't going, the clumpiness is not likely the issue.

wlp002 is also very clumpy. It coagulates just like jello. When I first saw it I thought maybe it was super old or just bad in general, but it fermented like a champ. In my experience the yeast strains that coagulate or get clumpy tend to be very flocculant. With yeasts that have high flocculation the ferm temp and aeration are very important.

stauffbier said:
wlp002 is also very clumpy. It coagulates just like jello. When i first saw it i thought maybe it was super old or just bad in general, but it fermented like a champ. In my experience the yeast strains that coagulate or get clumpy tend to be very flocculant. With yeasts that have high flocculation the ferm temp and aeration are very important.

+100000000000000

Woke up at 530 this morning. It seemed to be fermenting for a while. All is well.

Back