Dead Yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badseed

Reaction score
The other night while I was brewing I asked my "helper" to place the yeast smack pack in the house where it was warm and put the LME in hot water while the grains were soaking. When it came time to add the malt I noticed that the malt was still very thick. Upon further inspection I saw that the yeast smack pack had been submerged in hot water for approximately 60 minutes. I took the pack out which had slightly swelled but not fully. When it came time for the yeast the pack was the same size. I had no other options so I added the yeast assuming that it had not had enough time to activate. here it is two days later and there is no signs of fermentation, no gas, no foam etc. Is the batch useless at this point? Can I add a fresh pack of yeast and save the brew? Please help!!!

I wouldn't give up on that yeast just yet, They may be in there reproductive state.

What was your OG??
What temperature are you keeping the fermentor at?
What yeast did you use?

Depending on how hot the water was, yes, the yeast might have been killed. No harm in pitching another packet of yeast, in my opinion.

LOL, I saw the plot moving that direction.:p

Pitch another if no bubbles when you wake up. Or pitch it now- no worries.

I had pretty much the same problem just this week, except that the slap pack was DOA for some unknown reason. I pitched it anyway (from a starter), but not so much as a fart in the airlock for three days. Fortunately (and I highly recommend this practice for this very reason) I had a fridge full of recovered yeast, so I cracked open a year-old jar (of a different strain, unfortunately) and pitched it--the fermenter was going nuts within 48 hours... Now I'm crossing my fingers that my sanitation skills are up to snuff.

It can't hurt to throw in more yeast. The worst that can happen is that the carboy explodes.

But really, the only bad thing that could happen is that the wort got infected while sitting. You should be fine.

I am going to raise this thread from the dead because I just did the same darn thing to a batch of cider. I pitched more yeast, it has been 3 days, and still no activity.

Is there anything I can do or should I drink my 4 and some-odd gallons of apple cider and start all over again?

Back