stirplate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I am making my own stir plate. I have a nice fan 24volt. I have an adaptor that plugs into the wall that feeds the fan 24volts. I need to slow it down with a rheostat/ potentiometer. Do they make rheostats for 12volts, 24 volts etc...or will any radioshack potentiometer work.

You need to understand circuits to answer that question. A potentiometer of any kind will work in theory, as they just increase resistance on the circuit, but the wrong kind can either not fully shut off the current, or if too strong shut it off so fast that basically it is either on or off. You really need to know exactly what you're putting into the circuit. Don't guess. if you're unsure, you should probably not do it. If you have some software that helps design circuits, then you would be safer.

I think I'm going to buy a light switch dimmer tomorrow and try that. Anyone know if a light switch dimmer will slow down a 24volt fan?

I also recommend the LM317. I went the potentiometer route on my first couple plates and it sucked. Once I went with the LM317's it's been smooth sailing ever since. You can get them on ebay pretty cheap. Good Luck.

That is exactly what I did and it works awesome! I actually went an easy route and bought a 12 volt dc fan regulator for 6 dollars on amazon and wired it in.

pompeiisneaks said:
You need to understand circuits to answer that question. A potentiometer of any kind will work in theory, as they just increase resistance on the circuit, but the wrong kind can either not fully shut off the current, or if too strong shut it off so fast that basically it is either on or off. You really need to know exactly what you're putting into the circuit. Don't guess. if you're unsure, you should probably not do it. If you have some software that helps design circuits, then you would be safer.

This is my problem; the pot is either off or on, no variable resistance. Should I get a bigger/stronger pot? I hae a 6v DC power supply with a 12v fan.

This is my problem; the pot is either off or on, no variable resistance. Should I get a bigger/stronger pot? I hae a 6v DC power supply with a 12v fan.

Try an LM317 or check out flomasters post below.

Originally Posted by Flomaster
so after reading the other 200 page DIY thread about using an old computer fan, hard drive magnets, radio shack potentiometer and a random power supply I attempted to build my own. after many a failed attempts and finally getting a working combination using a 18V JBL power supply I found it was spinning to fast for my liking even on the slowest setting.

I saw another thread about this usb fan on amazon.com and said WTF might as well try it out. well let me tell you this works fantastic and is super easy to put together.

http://youtu.be/f9Oij-NCWds

Video Link:

here is a link Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00080G0BK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 to my fan its an 80mm fan I didn't think I needed to spend the extra coin on the 120mm fan.

-=Jason=-

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, those are for 120v no? Completely wrong kind. Not 12 or 24v.

No, if you put 120v into a LM317 your going to fry it. The LM317 voltage regulator will take any input voltage up to about a max of 38v and allow you to use a potentimeter to reduce the output. The output is capped to about 1v under your input voltage so with the right potentimeter your 24v supply could give you a output of 1(?)-23v to the fan. Odds are the stall speed of the fan will be your actual lowest threshold and be somewhere above the lowest threshold of the LM317.

info and a calculator:
http://www.electronics-lab.com/articles/LM317/

Back