MoreBeer Conicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymurgy101

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been back and forth on Blichmann versus MoreBeer conicals for a bit and am leaning strongly toward MoreBeer at this point. Not long ago I saw a thread with some contributors who had the new Conical 2.0 version. There was talk about the o-ring getting seated properly and some CO2 leaks. I assume that was all remedied? How do you like them and any suggestions for use? I searched for the aforementioned thread, but could not find it or I would have posted there.

Thanks!

Jeff

I was looking at both, too.
Then I read about the ChiCompany ones and decided to wait some more.
Then I just bought Brewers' Hardware Sanke fermenter cap. Problem solved for $90 :rockin:

Sorry - That's a completely useless thing to post, but I was compelled, as I very nearly spent $900 on a Ferminator because I thought I'd need a conical to harvest yeast. ;)

Hi All,

I've been back and forth on Blichmann versus MoreBeer conicals for a bit and am leaning strongly toward MoreBeer at this point. Not long ago I saw a thread with some contributors who had the new Conical 2.0 version. There was talk about the o-ring getting seated properly and some CO2 leaks. I assume that was all remedied? How do you like them and any suggestions for use? I searched for the aforementioned thread, but could not find it or I would have posted there.

Thanks!

Jeff

Not useless, always good info especially if you use other Sanke kegs in your setup.

Now if I can find that other thread...

Ok- I really love conicals for several reasons (racking, yeast dumping, etc) and am a bit obsessed with oversized and cool looking brew equipment. I use to have the 7.5 gallon from morebeer. This was their 1.0 version and they have since made several upgrades to it (I owned it 8 years ago). I LOVED it. It was easy to use, clean, and I purchased an acrylic lid for it so I could see my yeast dance. I can't speak to the current version, but the 1.0 version was a fantastic vessel, especially for that time frame when there were not a lot of choices.

I have since sold this vessel as my brewery outgrew it once I went to 10 gallon batches and now own a blichman 14.5 gallon. There really isn't one thing I don't love about it. Keep in mind, once it is full, it aint movin so I have to make sure that whenver I fill it, that is where I want it to be once it is emptied. Cleaning is not bad. Normally, I just fill it with water and dump oxy clean into it and let it soak. All cleaning can be done near the kitchen sink without ever having to dump it (just open the valves to drain directly in the sink).

I think either one of these would be a great conical. My only advice is even if you brew 5 gallon batches, go bigger with your purchase. Get one that will at least hold a ten gallon batch.

Thanks for the input, Joelsyales. I am looking at the 14 gal model as I am very happy with ten gallon batch sizes. The cost difference between the 7 and 14 make it an almost obvious choice; however, some folks do like their size 7.

So, I opted for the MoreBeer 14gal conical instead of the Blichmann Pro version. I'll follow up with my opinions on quality and usability in approximately eight weeks. It's going to seem like an eternity!

Zy, just put my 14 ga MoreBeer to work last weekend. Had the CO2 leak problem you mention. I can't find that thread either. One guy at work suggested Keg Lube on the gaskets.

Otherwise, so far so good. It's a fantastically well built piece of equipment.

I've been using my conical consistently since October 2010, brewing about every three weeks. My opinion is that I am very fond of this piece of equipment; it makes the brew cycle much easier overall.

As of yet, I have not had any CO2 leaks. I'd suggest that you not overtighten the lid clamp and make sure you have the round side of the gasket facing up and flat side facing down. I hope this is helpful!

I just measured and there is an 11/16" (11mm) gap between the ends of the band at the clamp...if that makes sense. So I can see 11mm of the red gasket with no band covering it. Moreover, I tighten the clamp very little as a general rule. Currently, I could turn the clamp with one finger; but it is not necessary to continue to tighten as it does not leak.

No, doubtful you ruined the gasket. I have heard of others overtightening and what happens is that the gasket just sort of buckles a bit and doesn't make a good seal. Once you back of the pressure, it should lay flat again.

I have two 7 gallon and one 14 gallon Blichmann conicals (got them at different times), love them tremendously. I don't have any experience with the B3 conicals. I would recommend Blichmann, haven't had a single problem racking under CO2.

Latest posts

Back