Stained Fermenting bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
i kept my last brew in the primary for about a month. After transfering it to the secondary, i noticed that the walls of the bucket had turned a little darker where the beer sat. i cleaned it completely with b-brite, but the stain is still there. is this going to effect any future brews or should it be o.k.to use.

anyone?

I wouldn't worry about the stains. You could try soaking with water and a little bleach. If you use the bleach make sure you rinse well.

A strong solution of 1 tablespoon bleach per gallon cool water and soak overnight may help but fermenters do darken with use but usually don't effect future brews.

I had this happen. I filled it up with hot water and added a bunch of oxyclean to it and let it sit for a few days. the stain cleared up a little, but the smell went away almost completely. you'll be fine to keep using it if you clean it like this.

My fermenter, new last November, has had 12 5-gallon batches brewed in it, and has a light stain. It also has a hop smell. As far as I know the stain does no harm, and a hop smell is bad.....how? I wash it thoroughly after use with dishwashing detergent and dry. Before use, I sanitize with Star San. No problems to report.

I was unable to get the slight color change and hop smell from my last IPA batch. Since then, I have brewed a Nut Brown Ale and EPA and they tasted just fine. Obviously, just make sure that you clean the primary out well.

On a side note, I just picked up a 6 gallon glass carboy for $31.99 at my LHBS (Omaha, NE). I haven't used it yet, but from what i've read they are suppose to resist color and odor better than the plastic buckets. Maybe try looking into one of those?

Stains are no biggie, but what I suggest you watch for over time is the formation of beer stone. I noticed it on my fermenters even though I always give them a good cleaning. I was over worried about scratching the plastic. Now beer stone I could easily see harboring bugs.

I've read about how better bottles are stain/odor resistant and gaining good cred throughout the brewing community. Im thinking of upgrading to BB's myself

is scented bleach okay to soak in fermenter?

I wouldn't risk it. And I also wouldn't worry about a stained fermenter. I have a plastic bucket that accumulated a brown stain from a darker IPA I made and haven't had any issues with it.

I wouldn't worry. Just as long as there is no scratches in the walls of the bucket. I have some staining on my bucket and I have never had any problems. I use the bleach method that was mentioned before.

Back