fermentation cabinet or all-grain equip?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am planning on purchasing some new stuff very soon and just wanted a "second" opinion. Should I buy a chest freezer to ferment in, or equipment to switch to all-grain? Right now, I ferment in a bath tub and have been able to keep my temp below 70(well now I have to use the ice bottles technique). I was thinking I would all-grain now, then in a few months get the freezer(after I move). Do I have my priorities backwards? I have not noticed any tempurature related off flavors thus far, although its been all extract.

As always...Thanks:)

Hello all,

I am planning on purchasing some new stuff very soon and just wanted a "second" opinion. Should I buy a chest freezer to ferment in, or equipment to switch to all-grain? Right now, I ferment in a bath tub and have been able to keep my temp below 70(well now I have to use the ice bottles technique). I was thinking I would all-grain now, then in a few months get the freezer(after I move). Do I have my priorities backwards? I have not noticed any tempurature related off flavors thus far, although its been all extract.

As always...Thanks:)

It is all up to you, Just do it on the spur of a moment. When you want to brew beer next just think.....Do I want to make better beer? or Do I want to Lager my Extract Brew? Thats what I did. I ended up going AG and buying the Freezer 4 monthes later when I found one on sale.

Fermentation control will improve all of your beers. I have both, an AG set up and fermentation control. The fermentation control will make your extract beer just as good as any AG. In fact no one will be able to tell besides you. Fermentation control baby!! That is my vote. S.

I'd vote to make a son-of-a-ferm chiller and go AG. That will allow you to ferment ales at correct temps. The two together (if you go with a cooler and turkey fryer) should cost under $100 if you find what you needs at Lowes.

Depends, do you really want to be a brewer or just someone who can boil water.

If the answer is you want to be a brewer, Go AG first!

All you need for tight temp control is an Igloo Ice Cube cooler and a few soda bottles of frozen water. Have a couple in the cooler and a couple of spares in the freezer to swap out.

I vote for the temp control if you don't have an area for your fermentors that holds a steady temp in the range you want to ferment. I don't have a basement and I found the biggest improvement in my beers was from my chest freezer with temp control, even bigger than switching to all grain.

Depends, do you really want to be a brewer or just someone who can boil water.

If the answer is you want to be a brewer, Go AG first!

All you need for tight temp control is an Igloo Ice Cube cooler and a few soda bottles of frozen water. Have a couple in the cooler and a couple of spares in the freezer to swap out.

+1 for about $24 you can get a Igloo Ice Cube cooler for fermenting. I can fit my 6 1/2gal carboy in mine. I made a new lid out of styrofoam so the carboy neck sticks out with the airlock. I accidently got a batch down to 40F once by dumping a bag of ice in it. :D

GO AG now and get a few brews under your belt while saving for the freezer and you could have your AG setup dialed in by the time you get the freezer.

I am looking into fermentation temp conrtolling now and have thought about just doing the cooler with ice temporarily. I just can't believe that you can really hold a steady temp because of the ambient temp still fluctuating or am I wrong? And do you guys use water in the cooler with the ice bottles or just stick the bottles in and how many? Maybe after I get my porter done this weekend, I'll dissasemble my mash tun and use it a fermentation chiller...would it work ok with the lid open/ don't wanna canabilize it since it will go back to being a mashtun

Thanks for all the replies. I figured they'd be mixed, but I still wanted some opinions. I think I'll try the igloo cooler for now, since it's getting a little warmer out, and wait til I move and know for sure what will fit in my new place before shelling out for a chest freezer. Looks like I'll be making my first all-grain batch pretty soon! I still have ingredients for 1 or 2 extract batches that I'll knock out in the next week or so. Thanks again!

I'd also vote for fermentation control. I'm really wanting to go AG, but dealing with the hassle of trying to control ferment temps, especially in the summer has made me want a fridge even more.

If you're not dead set on brewing a lot of lagers, then get the AG stuff first, since it benefits every beer you'll make.

Ales can be temp controlled easily and cheaply (link in my sig for one of many very feasible ideas). in fact when its really hot I use my fermentation 'chamber' in conjunction with a swamp cooler...no problems.

I am looking into fermentation temp conrtolling now and have thought about just doing the cooler with ice temporarily. I just can't believe that you can really hold a steady temp because of the ambient temp still fluctuating or am I wrong? And do you guys use water in the cooler with the ice bottles or just stick the bottles in and how many? Maybe after I get my porter done this weekend, I'll dissasemble my mash tun and use it a fermentation chiller...would it work ok with the lid open/ don't wanna canabilize it since it will go back to being a mashtun

Water does helps stabilize the temp better than just ice bottles alone. I start out with 2 frozen 2 liter bottles for the first day then after that just use 1 bottle per day and can keep it between 65 and 68. If you are trying to lager then you would need more bottles.

Well I decided on getting the all grain set up. I'm going to fly sparge so I got 2 10 gal coolers at HD, and all the fiiting to convert them, just waiting on the sparge arm and false bottom to come in. I also got some foam insulation board and converted an unused shower into a fermentation cabinet. The ambient there typically doesn't go above 70, so with the insulation and a couple frozen gallons of water, I figure I can keep it in the mid 60's, which is good for me since I'm doing ales. I got all parts and ingredients for my first batch for ~225. I'm happy with that. Thanks for all your input!

Back