Beersmith and 2 computers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a laptop and a desktop. I understand I can use both computers with my one registration key.

I'm NOT computer savvy at all, and I was wondering how to set up the recipe folders to be accessible from either computer so I can make changes during the brewday on the laptop. And then, should I also save to the laptop, just in case my desktop dies? I hope those questions make sense, but if not I'll try to explain myself better. :drunk:

IF you have a NAS, you could backup the recipes there. Just export them from one system and copy the files there.

You could also make changes on the laptop, on brew day, send the recipe to the cloud, then pull/copy it down to your desktop. You could also move copies of everything (I would also do any other customized ingredients, profiles, etc.) up to a DropBox folder for safe keeping.

I've had mixed results trying to get BeerSmith to use a network share for it's recipes directory. I have found using the BeerSmith Cloud offering, as well as DropBox to be more usable for B&R routines (Backup and Recovery)...

Dedicate a thumb drive for your xml files then your always backed up :mug:

That's something I'll have to do, as I will take the laptop to Texas. While I don't brew in Texas, I still could write/plan recipes. I don't have a thumb drive, though- I have to get one.

I also have to figure out where the darn Beersmith recipe directory is. :drunk:

That's something I'll have to do, as I will take the laptop to Texas. While I don't brew in Texas, I still could write/plan recipes. I don't have a thumb drive, though- I have to get one.

I also have to figure out where the darn Beersmith recipe directory is. :drunk:

Get a DropBox account (it's free). You'll be able to put your files there from anyplace with an internet connection. Then just use the 'export' function from within BeerSmith to then upload the files. IMO, pretty easy. Plus, doesn't require spending a penny.

I did this just yesterday. Beer smith has a cloud for your recipes. This is basically online storage for free. Just upload your recipes to the cloud and they can be accessed on any computer. To upload to the could simply right click on the recipe and there is an option to send to cloud.

http://beersmith.com/beersmithrecipes-com-and-beersmith-cloud-video-overview/

Very small number of recipes can be kept via the free offering. It's fine if you just want a way to quickly shift between two systems. BUT, in my professional opinion, it's not good for long term, or high recipe count, usage.

I have a laptop and a desktop. I understand I can use both computers with my one registration key.

I'm NOT computer savvy at all, and I was wondering how to set up the recipe folders to be accessible from either computer so I can make changes during the brewday on the laptop. And then, should I also save to the laptop, just in case my desktop dies? I hope those questions make sense, but if not I'll try to explain myself better. :drunk:

If you go to FILE and select EXPORT ALL you can export all files to desktop or thumb drive. Once software is installed on second computer you can then go FILE to IMPORT WIZARD and import the exported file from your thumb drive.

As mentioned, the new version does have cloud that allows access anywhere but I will assume you have a lot more storage requirement than the free cloud allows for and probably do not want to pay for additional storage capacity:)

I'll second dropbox. It's very user friendly and you can download the app to your computers. It's as simple as dragging and dropping the file into the folders. I've gone to it for storing all my documents, program files. Much easier than using a thumb drive.

Get a DropBox account (it's free). You'll be able to put your files there from anyplace with an internet connection. Then just use the 'export' function from within BeerSmith to then upload the files. IMO, pretty easy. Plus, doesn't require spending a penny.

That sounds like good solution! Thanks.

I'm not too much of a cheapskate (oh, well, yes I am) but 10 recipes on the cloud is nothin'!

I had some personalized help on this via PM, so I think I'm good but I like the dropbox idea a lot and will probably utilize that later on.

Yooper, if you PM me an email address, I can send you a dropbox invite. IF you sign up that way, I get some additional space. You can do the same thing. Get others to use the link, or reference your email and you'll get more space. Of course, they start you off [now] with more space than they did when I signed up.

Yooper, if you PM me an email address, I can send you a dropbox invite. IF you sign up that way, I get some additional space. You can do the same thing. Get others to use the link, or reference your email and you'll get more space. Of course, they start you off [now] with more space than they did when I signed up.

Sure! PM coming!

I use the Cloud service on my laptop while I am brewing in the garage. Then I either save it to a memory stick or copy it from the cloud to my PC after completing the brew. While I dont have that many recipes, I just delete off the Cloud to keep it below 10.

I am trying to use Google Drive to synch files between 2 laptops and an android tablet. I don't just want to copy recipes, but inventory, equipment profile, and calendar.
This is what I did to try to get this to work:

I already had my copy of BS running for months with the google drive folder set as the default document folder on the 1st pc.
  • 1. I first copied all the files in the documents folder and pasted them into a new folder (backup originals) in my google drive folder.
  • This first step could be done from either pc for me, I used the 1st pc.
  • 2. I opened the (backup originals) folder in google drive on the 2nd pc next and copied the files to the local folder that was set as the default document folder. I let it overwrite any files in there with the files from PC1.
  • 3. I then opened Beersmith on the 2nd pc and checked that the recipes, and inventory were the same as the 1st computer.
  • 3.. I then made sure that BS was closed on the first computer.
  • 4. On the 2nd computer I changed BS documents default folder to the google drive folder, the same as the one used on the 1st pc. I then closed BS.
  • 4.. All the files from the 2nd computer copied to the google drive folder and it took a while to synch at this point.
  • 5. Now the two computers use the same folder and everything seems to be synched. I wanted to test the synch going forward so I made a new recipe in my brewlog on the 2nd pc, saved and closed BS. I waited for google drive to tell me the synch was complete, then opened BS on computer 1, no new recipe displayed.
  • 6. I closed BS on PC1 and checked BS on PC2 again, the new recipe opened up. I tried making a recipe from PC1 and opening BS on PC2, no recipe transferred, inventory did not update from one pc to the other.
Now I am not sure what to do, I dont want to have to copy paste every time I switch computers to manually synch them. How is this any different than people using dropbox?
Thanks and happy holidays!

I am trying to use Google Drive to synch files between 2 laptops and an android tablet. I don't just want to copy recipes, but inventory, equipment profile, and calendar.

I already had my copy of BS running for months with the google drive folder set as the default document folder on the 1st pc.
  • 1. I first copied all the files in the documents folder and pasted them into a new folder (backup originals) in my google drive folder.
  • 2. I opened the (backup originals) folder in google drive on the 2nd pc next and copied the files to the local folder that was set as the default document folder. I let it overwrite any files in there with the files from PC1.
  • 3. I then opened Beersmith on the 2nd pc and checked that the recipes, and inventory were the same as the 1st computer.
  • 4. On the 2nd computer I changed BS documents default folder to the google drive folder, the same as the one used on the 1st pc. I then closed BS.
  • 4.. All the files from the 2nd computer copied to the google drive folder and it took a while to synch at this point.
  • 5. Now the two computers use the same folder and everything seems to be synched. I wanted to test the synch going forward so I made a new recipe in my brewlog on the 2nd pc, saved and closed BS. I waited for google drive to tell me the synch was complete, then opened BS on computer 1, no new recipe displayed.
  • 6. I closed BS on PC1 and checked BS on PC2 again, the new recipe opened up. I tried making a recipe from PC1 and opening BS on PC2, no recipe transferred, inventory did not update from one pc to the other.
Now I am not sure what to do, I dont want to have to copy paste every time I switch computers to manually synch them. How is this any different than people using dropbox?

You definitely have the right method. I do the same thing but I'm using brewtarget and everything works very well. Have you tried disabling autosave?

I usually just export the ingredients/hardware profiles I want to move to the second system then import them into it's install. I simply select the items I want, or that are not already present, and export those (only). I believe there could be a file in the mass of files you downloaded to the second system that's more tied to the first. You'll also want to set your defaults on the second system to be the same as you pulled from the first system. Once you have it down/done, you should be good to go. For me, it's been a while since I did this. I do use the BeerSmith cloud item to transfer recipes between (typically the brew of the day, or when I want to work on something remote and want it on my Windows 8 tablet. :D

Dropbox is better for more than just backing up all your recipes. You can route your beersmith directory to dropbox, then copy all the files to it, then create a short cut on the desk top of all the computers you use, bam!, you are running the same copy of beersmith on every computer you own. As far as I know it doesn't violate the TOS, as you are not installing the same serial on more than one computer, and there is no modifying of the provided software to achieve the outcome.

Dropbox is better for more than just backing up all your recipes. You can route your beersmith directory to dropbox, then copy all the files to it, then create a short cut on the desk top of all the computers you use, bam!, you are running the same copy of beersmith on every computer you own. As far as I know it doesn't violate the TOS, as you are not installing the same serial on more than one computer, and there is no modifying of the provided software to achieve the outcome.

That sounds great! But I'm not a computer person so for me to do that is over my head. If someone could type out simple instructions, starting with "go to _______ under "file"" or something, I'd do that.

NOTE: DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING! YOU CAN LEAVE THE BEERSMITH FILES IN YOUR PROGRAM FILES AS THEY WILL NOT INTERFERE SINCE YOU CHANGED YOUR DIRECTORY. IT IS BEST TO TEST IT BY CREATING A SHORTCUT ON A COMPUTER THAT DOES NOT HAVE BEERSMITH INSTALLED ON IT.

Step 1: Create Dropbox Account

Step 2: Create folder named "Beersmith" in dropbox folder

Step 3: Go to your Beersmith folder in program files (or whereever you saved it to) and copy/paste those files to the "beersmith" dropbox folder.

Step 4: Open Beersmith

Step 5: Go to File > Change Documents Directory

Step 6: Choose beersmith folder inside dropbox folder

Step 7: Create Shortcut on your desktop by right clicking the .exe in the dropbox folder and choosing "create shortcut"

Step 8: Lauch Beersmith with said shortcut

A couple notes: you cannot have beersmith open on two computers at once. If you do there will be conflicts and your changes will not save. ALWAYS CLOSE BEERSMITH WHEN YOU ARE DONE WITH IT.
Also, MAKE BACKUPS!

Step 3: Go to your Beersmith folder in program files (or whereever you saved it to) and copy/paste those files to the "beersmith" dropbox folder.

I just want to clarify one last bit and I then I will start fresh with another google drive attempt (I have a DBox account but I'd like to know if this works with other types of personal file clouds).

In your step 3 you are making a copy of the Beersmith .exe into dropbox?
So in step 4/5 which .exe are you changing the directory for, the dropbox one or the one in the program files folder? I think it would be the one in dropbox, that makes sense to me but I just want to be clear before I start.
Thanks!

I really think Brad should add a "synchronize-all" feature for any single username to make this juggling unnecessary. Just wishful thinking, the feature would introduce ongoing server costs for him I guess, that's why the recipe cloud costs money as it is...

+1 for this. I do this also sharing data between my computer at work and laptop at home.

I just want to clarify one last bit and I then I will start fresh with another google drive attempt (I have a DBox account but I'd like to know if this works with other types of personal file clouds).

In your step 3 you are making a copy of the Beersmith .exe into dropbox?
So in step 4/5 which .exe are you changing the directory for, the dropbox one or the one in the program files folder? I think it would be the one in dropbox, that makes sense to me but I just want to be clear before I start.
Thanks!

I really think Brad should add a "synchronize-all" feature for any single username to make this juggling unnecessary. Just wishful thinking, the feature would introduce ongoing server costs for him I guess, that's why the recipe cloud costs money as it is...

Just open your regular beersmith and change the directory. That will forward everything there. Then make the shortcut from the .exe in your db folder on your other computer.

I've tried the Dropbox solution, but am having issues with Beersmith 2 creating multiple copies of the files in the directory each time I open/close the app on a particular computer. The recipes created on one computer do not appear on the other computer when I open Beersmith 2. Any reason why this is happening rather than just opening/closing the files that exist in Dropbox?

I've tried this on Google Drive as well (my preferred option because I have 1TB of space with Drive), and it does the same thing (multiple copies). See below.

Back