Tv Guilty Pleasures.....What are yours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We all have them.

I don't watch a lot of tv, and when I do it tends to be sports or shows on the cooking channel, or History or Discovery, the kind of "reality" shows about Swamp people, or ice truck drivers, or myth busters or extreme fisherman, or Sam Caliqione. And I like crime dramas of the NCIS and Criminal Minds variety.

I can't stand most reality "contest" shows like survivor or the great race or whatever it's called. But if it's a cooking contest show, like Hell's kitchen or when our fellow HBT-er was on Master Chef, I like those.

And shows about folks in Jersey or Housewives of whatever don't interest me either.

And I just wanna punch out a certain High School Choir.

And I'm not a fan of the 30 minute sitcom either...I was never even a big seinfeld, or cheers or friends fan either. I usually find the characters in those shows to be too annoying.

But I just realized that I've become hooked on the show "New Girl" starring Zooey Deschanel as this hot geekette living with a bunch of guys. It's pretty well written, the supporting cast is pretty funny, and Zooey is the hot nerd that never existed when I was a nerd in highschool....

But, you know, I'm a guy....I shouldn't be watching this...It's a chick show isn't it?

We all have shows like this, that we know it's "wrong" for whatever reason...it kinda goes against the rest of our viewing habits, it might even be one of the types of shows I mentioned earlier, "Housewives of Moderately Famous Athletes."

So what's yours?

We all have them.

I don't watch a lot of tv, and when I do it tends to be sports or shows on the cooking channel, or History or Discovery, the kind of "reality" shows about Swamp people, or ice truck drivers, or myth busters or extreme fisherman, or Sam Caliqione. And I like crime dramas of the NCIS and Criminal Minds variety.

I can't stand most reality "contest" shows like survivor or the great race or whatever it's called. But if it's a cooking contest show, like Hell's kitchen or when our fellow HBT-er was on Master Chef, I like those.

And shows about folks in Jersey or Housewives of whatever don't interest me either.

And I just wanna punch out a certain High School Choir.

And I'm not a fan of the 30 minute sitcom either...I was never even a big seinfeld, or cheers or friends fan either. I usually find the characters in those shows to be too annoying.

But I just realized that I've become hooked on the show "New Girl" starring Zooey Deschanel as this hot geekette living with a bunch of guys. It's pretty well written, the supporting cast is pretty funny, and Zooey is the hot nerd that never existed when I was a nerd in highschool....

But, you know, I'm a guy....I shouldn't be watching this...It's a chick show isn't it?

We all have shows like this, that we know it's "wrong" for whatever reason...it kinda goes against the rest of our viewing habits, it might even be one of the types of shows I mentioned earlier, "Housewives of Moderately Famous Athletes."

So what's yours?

New Girl is hilarious, along with Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, and I really enjoy the cooking shows (just not Cupcake Wars, Cake Boss, B*tchin' Kitchen Etc...)
I'm really looking forward to the finale of Next Iron Chef SUperChefs on Sunday!

Top Gear UK edition, my all time favorite and recently found Homeland to be quiet good.

Ho boy, all the HBTers in law enforcement will cringe at this, but on a Sunday afternoon when there's no football or baseball, I'm a sucker for shows like Cops or Worlds Wildest Police Chases, etc.

Top Gear UK edition, my all time favorite and recently found Homeland to be quiet good.

This show is hilarious! The production quality is extremely high.

I'm also a fan of No Reservations, Psych, 30 Rock and some old ones like Northern Exposure.

My two favorites are Flying Wild Alaska and Holmes Inspection (them Canadians sure build shady houses!)

Also enjoy Dexter and Homeland.

Castle is great. More lighthearted than most of the other whodunit shows.

I love Community. Never miss it, well I will be missing it as it's on hiatus, but the show is smart and funny, not in that it makes references to ill understood (or very well understood) natural phenomena, but in that it constantly reinvents it's format and not just it's plots into something in and of itself.

If you're not watching it you're missing out.

I also watch everything I can on Egypt. Not a fan of Zahi Hawass, don't get the abrasive nature and condescending attitude, but I still respect him for what he does and his extensive knowledge.

Info before personalty you know?

The ones I really follow tend to be cancelled. Firefly, Arrested Development and Better of Ted are really funny. But as to guilty pleasures there was a time when I religiously watched Buffy the Vampire slayer, 7th Heaven and Dawson's Creek.

Now I feel bad about myself....
:D

My two favorites are Flying Wild Alaska and Holmes Inspection (them Canadians sure build shady houses!)

Also enjoy Dexter and Homeland.

Hey now, Dexter and Homeland aren't guilty pleasures, their both hardcore awesome, especially Homeland.

I also watch Flying Wild Alaska, a "real" reality show about good people.

If you want a guilty pleasure check out American Guns, now that's guilty! As in 17 will get you 20 guilty. Yes, she dresses like that all the time, the show is interesting as well, if you're into guns.

paige-wyatt-american-guns.jpg

Top Gear (UK) has to be one of the best *made* shows of all time. I could care less about cars really, but it's very entertaining to watch. The US version sucked bad.

Game of thrones, walking dead, and the occasional episode of the office are pretty much the only things I've followed consistently.

Dexter, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, The Walking Dead (hope 2nd half is better), Hell on Wheels, Restaurant Impossible.

Need to set the DVR (how did we make it without one) to record Underbelly, I hear it is awesome.

Waiting for Game of Thrones and Shameless.

Isn't Top Gear UK the show where the guy test drove a Prius and said, "Now let's what's its Top Speed is!...... Nope, hasn't got one."

Then they proceeded to shoot the living sht out of it with a mounted machine gun.

The usual shows are:

Castle
Modern Family
Community
The Middle
Storage Wars

I also like the naughty shows like Game of Thrones and Spartacus, but I can only watch them when the women and children are not around...

I've been interested in the show with Zoe, but FWIW I never thought she was funny, so I thought it would suck. Might have to check it out.

Also, all of these shows are second to the Red Wings, and only when I'm scheduled for "Family Time". I'd probably watch 2-3 shows at the most if I were not careful about spending too much time brewing and playing with other hobbies.

Oh yeah. And any show with hot chicks. I'm shallow that way.

MyNameIsPaul said:
New Girl is hilarious, along with Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, and I really enjoy the cooking shows

Really enjoy those with SWMBO along with Raising Hope and parenthood (my life is family, kids & BEER..lol..)..
Doctor Who on BBCA with the oldest :) she really likes it and is geeking out on it but that's better than that preteen tween crap on disney channel ect...

I don't have TV service so I get my shows from netflix, and I just can't get enough Keeping up Appearances.

I don't have cable, either. So, when I'm not interested in Hulu or Netflix, I get creative. How about BBC TV Shows from the UK! They have a free streaming website that runs about 24 hours after all the shows are broadcast. But, they block you from watching the streaming shows unless your IP address is based in the UK.

So, I installed Tor and changed the config file to port through UK IP addresses. Now I can watch Doctor Who the day after it broadcasts. Plus any other crazy Brit shows that come along. My wife is hooked on a show called "Escape to the Country" - it's about people looking for a house in the British countryside. They look at three homes and pick one to buy. Some of these houses are awesome! Like some are built in the medieval times. Crazy stuff.

Plus it's nice to watch BBC news. I like their news better than CNN, Fox or whatever else.

Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Colbert Report
Storage Wars
Top Shot

and I know I'm going to get flamed for this...

My wife and I watch the Bachelor... she loves it and I'm a sucker for reality shows.

I do like me some NCIS [Ziva is HOTT!] and Criminal Minds [CriNiMal Minds around here]. But the world HAS TO stop on Saturday at 400pm, when we enjoy Iron Chef America! We both want to become judges and taste some of those dishes! And Alton Brown is certifiably CRAZY!

glenn514:mug:

The current guilty pleasure in our house is Ringer. It's insanely stupid, but we keep right on watching. We also watch a lot of the cooking shows mentioned in this thread, but I wouldn't characterize them as guilty pleasures.

I dont care much for drama crime shows.

I like to watch Forensic Files and Wipeout on Tru tv. Now that channel is ridden with all kinds of scripted reality shows. It is horrible.

Breaking Bad
The Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
The League
Boardwalk Empire
Beavis and Butthead

I work for a telecom and get every single cable channel for free. Those are the only shows that I watch when I have time to turn on the dvr. (not counting football).

I heard "The Colony" was cancelled for season 3. Although really hokey, I liked that show.
I really miss MxC on Spike.

Guilty pleasure? "World's Dumbest ...."

Wife mocks me for watching it, but she laughs, too.

I'm loving the new Beavis and Butthead episodes, but I wouldn't really call those a "guilty" pleasure. They're a lot smarter than most of what's on TV.

"Huh huh, this guy's dumber than us!"

My geek show lately has been Legend of the Seeker

Such an awesome fantasy show. I really miss it. Actually decent production quality, really good acting, and sexy with enough camp to make it fun without making it a comedy.

I also forgot to mention that I will occasionally stop on iCarly...

My wife makes fun of me for watching, and honestly, I deserve it. But, I will watch ANYTHING about the end of the world. Asteroids, supervolcanos, crustal displacement, coronal mass ejections, mutated virus epidemic, I watch'em all.
Oh, yeah. And I have a countdown on my homepage to the end of the Mayan Long Count.
I know. It's sick.
But, just think. When the world does end, I'll be the only guy in the neighborhood with beer.

My wife makes fun of me for watching, and honestly, I deserve it. But, I will watch ANYTHING about the end of the world. Asteroids, supervolcanos, crustal displacement, coronal mass ejections, mutated virus epidemic, I watch'em all.
Oh, yeah. And I have a countdown on my homepage to the end of the Mayan Long Count.
I know. It's sick.
But, just think. When the world does end, I'll be the first guy killed for his beer.

>>>>

I watch a ton of sports - English soccer, baseball, and some American football. I've discovered too that if HBO makes a TV series, there's a 90% chance it'll be fantastic. Shows that I admit in public to watching would include...

Mythbusters
The Daily Show/Colbert Report
Boardwalk Empire
Game of Thrones
Terra Nova
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Modern Family
New Girl

Stuff that I wouldn't readily admit to, but will here since I know nobody will judge me or laugh at me here, nope, that'd never happen...

Pan Am (okay, the show's crap, but Christina Ricci and the blonde chick? In tight uniforms?)
The Amazing Race (I have ZERO idea why)
And even at 38, I still love cartoons - especially the 80s ones from when I was a kid, like He Man, MASK, Transformers, Pole Position, etc. etc.

Wildwest, when and where does that gun show air? It looks like a show worth giving a shot. That chick looks a lot better than the daughter from Sons of Guns.

Big fan of 30 Rock, South Park, Workaholics, It's Always Sunny, The League, Top Shot and anything sports that's on.

And one of the best already mentioned is Top Gear. Those Brits are pretty damn funny and the show is always entertaining. The best part has got to be the celebrity in the reasonbly priced car.

Guilty pleasure has got to be Cake Boss, 'roll out the fandant and foe get about et.'

Stuff that I will admit to watching:

Game of Thrones
Dexter
Walking Dead
Hell on Wheels
Boardwalk Empire
Mythbusters

Borderline:

Sons of Anarchy

One that if I admit publicly that I watch and would have to turn in my man card:

Vampire Diaries

I'll agree to that "if HBO makes a series I'll probably like it." Loved The Wire.

Yeah, she's got a nice pair of illegal guns on her. ;)

The little lap dog she carries around in the store with her makes me ill. I hope she grows out of that.

Her mom is attractive also.

I've seen the show but I don't think it's that good. OK, but not good.

1)Breaking Bad <-IMHO this show is one of the greatest of all time...Up there with Sopranos and The Wire.
2)Dexter
3)The Walking Dead
4)Justified
5)Tosh.o

Such an awesome fantasy show. I really miss it. Actually decent production quality, really good acting, and sexy with enough camp to make it fun without making it a comedy.

I also forgot to mention that I will occasionally stop on iCarly...

I like how Kahlan wears white all the time, but never manages to get any blood on her.

Also, my wife saw the Mord'Sith. "Are they hitting people with a dildo?"

One thing I forgot to mention was my guilty pleasure.

On CMT, there is a show about chicks making the Cheer squad. Its called making the team I think. I have never even told anyone in my life that I watch it (or ever even turned to CMT for that matter). But that show is great. For the scenery of course ;-)

I like how Kahlan wears white all the time, but never manages to get any blood on her.

Also, my wife saw the Mord'Sith. "Are they hitting people with a dildo?"

I've never heard of this, but I had to Google it.

Yeah, I think your wife's right. I don't care what they try and say - that's a dildo.

Cara_agiel.jpg

EDIT:

The only weapon that Mord-Sith carry is the Agiel, a magical rod that causes constant pain to anyone who touches it. Mord-Sith use Agiels to fight, but primarily to torture and break captives and enemies, turning them into devoted "pets." Each Mord-Sith wields the Agiel which she herself was broken with as a child.

http://sot.wikia.com/wiki/Mord-Sith

THAT's just wrong.

Back