REAL Beer bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaRooster

Reaction score
I know there are several threads about beer but I wanted to share this one with everyone. We tried it this weekend and the bread came out with an amazing texture and deep beer flavor, with a slight hop bite at the end.

I started by pouring all of the left over stuff in the bottom of my fermenter into a large glass jar and placed it in the fridge over night. The next morning I poured all the liquid off the top and made a starter.

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp sugar
1 cup water
all of the troob (the left over stuff from the ferment-er)

and let that sit over night. Make sure and put this in a half gallon container because it is going to work it's A%$ off. I placed it in a quart mason jar and within 2 hours it was trying to blow the lid off. You can let this sit for days if you would like and then you have a sour dough starter, but I used mine the next day. Here is the rest of the receipe:

1 cup of the starter
3.5 cups bread flour
1 TBS salt
1 TBS honey or corn syrup
1.5 cups water

mix together and cover with clear wrap and let sit out over night. It should more than triple in size and this where the magic happens. Here is what mine looked like. You will have more starter left over for more bread, you can place in the fridge for later use or leave it out to get a sourdough flavor. I just made another batch cuz I have been brewing a batch every week and have plenty of troob in the supply line.

2011-10-30_14-49-21_754.jpg

You then turn out the dough and knead it adding flour until it is not sticky. I actually used my wife's kitchen-aide mixer with a dough hook and let it rip for about 10 minutes slowly adding probably a 1/2 cup of flour. If your kneading by hand it is gonna take some muscles. Place the loaf on a baking sheet that has been covered with corn meal cover with a towel and let it rise a second time until it is double to triple the original size. Bake for 40 minutes on 450 degrees. When I uncovered my bread after the all night rise, there was a distinct beer and alcohol smell that overwhelmed the kitchen.

2011-10-31_15-59-31_132.jpg

Hope somebody tries it, if so let me know what you think.

Sounds amazing! I might try this with the tribune from my pumpkin porter. Maybe I'll get a pumpkin beer bread!

Just curious as to how much trub you started with. You mentioned you put the starter to sit over night in a quarter mason jar initially. Well I just harvested all the trub from my last batch and it was a full quart mason jar full. I haven't let it sit over night in the fridge yet so maybe I'm also wondering how much liquid I will be taking out of this trub.

I think he was saying to put the trub (as much as possible probably) into a large glass, an then to let it sit overnight and separate most of the liquid out. He then made a starter from the separated yeast. That's how I read it anyway.

Going to have to give this a shot with the trub from the English brown ale I have fermenting. Wish I had captured the trub (or at least some of it) from the maple brown ale that I kegged a couple of weeks ago.

Got two flavors of starter going right now. Pumpkin porter trub and IPA trub. Got the supplies today. Gonna do some baking tomorrow morning and I'll report back with my results and maybe some pictures.

Let us know how the IPA based batch comes out. I'll be kegging up my English IPA on Wednesday, which has 1oz each of EKG and Fuggles whole hops in it. I'm thinking that it could be really good as a bread too. :D

Now to figure out what to use the trub from a weizenbock for. I wonder if the banana flavor will come through into bread.

What a great idea, will have to try this. I bet one from a Barleywine would be interesting.

I think he was saying to put the trub (as much as possible probably) into a large glass, an then to let it sit overnight and separate most of the liquid out. He then made a starter from the separated yeast. That's how I read it anyway.

Might seem like a stupid question but I'm not sure what to make the starter from-the trub or the liquid that gets separated?

Just a note, 10 min in the mixer is probably overworking the dough.

I've used WLP 300 trub in a batch of bread, and the banana definitely came through, not in an especially pleasant way lol.

Just curious as to how much trub you started with. You mentioned you put the starter to sit over night in a quarter mason jar initially. Well I just harvested all the trub from my last batch and it was a full quart mason jar full. I haven't let it sit over night in the fridge yet so maybe I'm also wondering how much liquid I will be taking out of this trub.

Mine was also a full Mason jar, I let it set in the fridge and all the solids settled to the bottom, I poured of the liquid that was on the top and ended up with maybe closer to a third of a quart of solids.

Just a note, 10 min in the mixer is probably overworking the dough.

I've used WLP 300 trub in a batch of bread, and the banana definitely came through, not in an especially pleasant way lol.

I found that anything less than 10 minutes of kneading produces a much denser loaf, but hey what ever work s for you is cool by me. I like my bread more in the european style of a hard chew crust and nice big air pockets inside.

Anyone ever try making bread using whole grain malt as flour? One time I made a beer bread that replaced the water with beer as usual but I added a touch of caramel and roasted malts finely ground to the dough. It gave it a nice slightly roasty sweetness.

Anyone ever try making bread using whole grain malt as flour? One time I made a beer bread that replaced the water with beer as usual but I added a touch of caramel and roasted malts finely ground to the dough. It gave it a nice slightly roasty sweetness.

This is a great idea, I wonder what would happen if you threw a little DME in for good measure? :mug:

This is a great idea, I wonder what would happen if you threw a little DME in for good measure? :mug:

Or some reserved grain from the mash tun from that batch. I could do that since I froze some of the post-mash grain from my last brew. Just a matter of saving some of the trub from the fermenter and use it all to make some bread.

It makes sense to do this for some spent grain bread. But I won't be making any spent grain bread unless it's from a beer with mostly wheat or rye. I just don't like all of the husks in my bread.

So I tried this recipe with two different flavor trubs. Both of them turned out bitter as all get out. Both loaves were so bitter that I threw them in the yard for the birds. The IPA loaf was more bitter than the pumpkin porter loaf, but they were both pretty inedible. The consistency was really good (crunchy outside crust with good thick, soft inside).

I think I followed the recipe, but maybe I screwed up somewhere.

It makes sense to do this for some spent grain bread. But I won't be making any spent grain bread unless it's from a beer with mostly wheat or rye. I just don't like all of the husks in my bread.

Send the spent grain for a ride in the food processor to break it up better. I did that after my first batch of spent grain bread. Makes for a much better end result. You don't have the husks sticking in your teeth that way. You can also use more spent grain (at least I did) since you get more into the measuring cups that way. :D Gives more flavor it seems too. Maybe it's because you expose more of the grain to the rest of the ingredients.

Matty22: Did you dry hop the IPA batch? Or how much hops were in the trub? Maybe a high IBU trub should be given some time to mellow in the fridge, and separate better, before you make the bread starter with it. My English IPA has just over 50 IBU in it... Dry hopped with whole hops too.

Yes on the grinding em up , i used a slap chopper,well a generic one that we had before those even came out, but since i got a corana mill i have pretty good crushes and noticed i dont even have to slap chop the grains before adding to the dough anymore.I think spelt flour makes a good base for a spent grain bread also. I really like the idea of using beer trub/yeast because then you really get some beer flavor i bet.

So I tried this recipe with two different flavor trubs. Both of them turned out bitter as all get out. Both loaves were so bitter that I threw them in the yard for the birds. The IPA loaf was more bitter than the pumpkin porter loaf, but they were both pretty inedible. The consistency was really good (crunchy outside crust with good thick, soft inside).

Not sure Matty22, did either of the batches still have the hops in them, did you dry hop? The last batch I did was from a pretty hoppy brown ale and it had only a slight bitter taste at the end, but it was not overpowering, but I strain wort into the fermenter and did not dry hop. I would think that allot of hop matter in the trub could make a very bitter bread. I would think that an IPA might make a very bitter bread.

The IPA was dry hopped. I don't strain my wort when it goes into the fermenter either so all of the hops from the boil were also in the trub. I don't know if that's what the issue was or if I just used too much of the trub and not enough sugar/water/flour.

I'll have to try again with my next batch.

Same deal. I think my trub has a lot of hop particles than some others though.

Excess hop debris was my first thought when I read this. Seems like this would be great for BIAB where the only thing present is a big fat yeast cake.

Would washing the yeast and just using the yeast help with hop particles? I have a beer that I will be kegging in the next week or two and would love to do this but I have never seen a trub that looks appetizing at all.

Back