Schlafly pumpkin ale opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffBeck

Reaction score
I'm no pumpkin ale expert, as a matter of fact this was the first and only one I have tried.
I have never tasted a beer that i couldn't drink until I drank this.
Yuck.
Just curious how this ranks with pumpkin drinkers and other pumpkin ales.

Hmm very interesting. For me, it actually rivals Souther Tier Pumpking but I also like very heavily spiced beers so that could be why. Assuming yours was normal, what didn't you like about it?

The pumpkin flavor is very strong in this beer. I've tried Harvest Moon also and the flavor is a lot more subtle. It depends on what I'm in the mood for.

if you don't like this beer, don't blame the beer, you just don't like pumpkin beers. This is an excellent pumpkin ale, easily top 5. I think when tasting beer, one has to keep an open mind. A beer is what it is. That is, an IPA is going to be bitter, a pumpkin ale is going to have pumpkin pie spices (the good ones at least). So if you go into it with an open mind, you may not prefer a beer, but you will at least be able to appreciate it for what it is. It's supposed to taste like that and that exact flavor that displeases you so much is the same flavor that so many others really love. There's something to be said for understanding your own palette. It's easy to dismiss something that confuses your conventional sense of taste. Have you ever took a sip of a Dr Pepper thinking it was a Coke? It tastes horrible. You may like DP and you may like Coke, but the fact that your sensory receptors were fooled by your expectation, skews you perception of taste. Now, i'm not saying this is the exact case with you, i'm merely attempting to explain how your palette may be affecting your view point. If it were me, i would drink a couple more at least. If you still don't like it, don't dump it please, give it away at least. Maybe at some point in the future you will have a better experience with this beer.

I have no experience with non-homebrew pumpkin ales and schlafly's was my first. I like it, it does have a lot of pumpkin spices but that's what I was wanting. My girlfriend thinks it's too sweet and is currently dominating the Sam Adams Oktoberfest I got her, but I am loving the pumpkin ale.

Back