Louisiana wild Muscadine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heefage

Reaction score
As I was riding around my grandfather's farm today admiring all the cotton starting to bloom I discovered several muscadine vines. I really want to make some homemade alcoholic beverages. I have several questions before diving into yet another project.

Is there anyone out there who can give this first timer helpful hints?
How hard is it to make muscadine wine?
Can I use Fleishmann's bread yeast from the grocery store?
Is it ok to use all muscadines or should i mix grapes in with them?

Thanks for any feedback guys!

thanks for the info. shelly.
I dont have access to campden tablets. Or at least I havent found where to buy them yet.

Do you have to use them?
From what i gather campden tablets are used to kill any wild yeast growing on the skin of the muscadine.
Couldnt i wash the muscadine's in scolding hot water to clean them instead of using campden?

No, you really can't just wash off the wild yeast and bacteria, I'm afraid. There isn't any substitute for campden (which is also known as potassium metabisulfite). There are winemakers who don't use campden, though. They just sanitize, and hope that the yeast they pitch can outcompete any stray bacteria. Or, they do a "wild" ferment and allow it to ferment with whatever is on it. I don't recommend doing that, but I know that some do. In my opinion, you're more likely to have vinegar than wine without the campden tablets. They are available at every winemaking shop, and online.

I started on the muscadine today. My grandma told me to boil them first, so i boiled for 20 min. or so and am currently waiting on them to cool.
\
After it cools im going to add my yeast.
Heres the question. Should I add just the yeast or add sugar & yeast together?

Several recipes say add only yeast then wait 4-5 days then add sugar...

The way I do mine down here in Vacherie, LA is to add the yeast to the grapes and let it ferment out for 3-5 days. At that point I strain out the juice and use 1.5 - 2 gallons of juice, water to make 5 gallons and enough sugar to get my SG to 1.125 - 1.130. I use EC1118 yeast but my friend uses bread yeast in his and I can not tell any noticable difference in his wine and mine. The boiling will kill the wild yeast and bacteria. I would suggest using pectic enzyme if you have it.

Everyone loves the way mine comes out. It ends up being slightly sweet, which is the way everyone down here enjoys it.

thanks for the info.
I have 2 gallons of juice and added 4lbs. of sugar along with the yeast.
Its been fermenting for 3 days now.
I smelled the gases coming out of the airlock and it smells pretty good already.
I also gave my jug a good 'swishing' around earlier to make sure the yeast is working throughout the juice.
I havent bought pectic enzyme yet. Ill add the enzyme and more sugar/water in 2 days, then take my first SG reading.

Without the help of you guys on this forum I wouldnt have made it this far.
Thanks again!

seperated juice from pulp today.
came out with exactly 2 gallons of juice.
first SG reading was 1.070.
added 10lbs./2 gallons water and will check SG tom.

Oh, and i added 1/2tbs of Sure-Jell fruit pectin.
its all i could find around here.

Heefage, Good Luck in your new venture. I just finished picking some of our muscadines and I think I'm ready to start the process....
:)

your supposed to add the fruit pectin before fermentation.
it helps break down the pulp thus helping you yield more juice.
i also heard it helps clear the juice.
thats why i went ahead and added some when i moved the juice to my second fermenter.

thanks for the luck winemakerLA.

I was nervous at first always worrying what step to do first and thinking i was going to ruin the wine before I really even got started.
Im slowly realizing theres not a 'wrong way' of doing this.
We're all looking for the same end product.
A tasty beverage that we can call our own.

your supposed to add the fruit pectin before fermentation.
it helps break down the pulp thus helping you yield more juice.
i also heard it helps clear the juice.
thats why i went ahead and added some when i moved the juice to my second fermenter.

I think you're a bit confused. You're supposed to add pectic enzyme. The enzyme breaks down pectin. You did the opposite.

yes. it seems i was a bit confused. I realize now after reading up on the enzyme and fruit pectins that i did the exact opposite.
I only added 1/2 tsp to 4g of juice.
Hopefuly I havent screwed the pooch on this one.
Ill know in about a month when i do my first racking.

LOL... Adding pectin to grape juice makes Jelly...

Muscadine jelly is pretty tasty stuff...

You may want to re-boil, strain, and add some more sugar!

Thanks

ill take my chances and leave it alone.
as i said i only added 1/2tsp to 4g of juice.
i looked at it today and the yeast is still goin and it looks very 'liquidy' so im not that worried about reboiling and all that jazz.
more sugar may be a good idea though.
on the 30th im doing a hydrometer reading, ill know then where i stand.

I have 3 empty lots of muscadines near me.But just found them just waiting and seeing what time of year they flower.
1 vine I found went up the light pole,across the wire 30-40 feet and up the tree 10-20 feet maybe higher.
I'am trying to get a used camera soon,to take pictures.
Thanks all who pm'ed me

Back