So thats a gusher....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soybomb

Reaction score
I started brewing maybe 5 years ago. My first two kits were old kits from the local store, brewers best I think and bottled. I hated the taste and went to all grain. Soon after I went into kegging. Then I found out I couldn't drink barley anymore and quit brewing. There were still several bottles of my first 2 batches in the basement. I never had any bottle related complications though.

I've decided to take up gluten free brewing and it was time to clean out some bottles. Batch number one had an obvious infection. Some particles on the sides of the glass, ring around the top, pop one open even chilled and it would gently overflow the sides.

Batch two looked okay so I brought a bomber to the thanksgiving gathering for everyone to try. Predictably no one liked it and I didn't even see it poured so who knows how it came out. Today I decided to dump the remaining 12 or so bottles of it. I set the bottle on the counter and opened it.

Beer sprayed right up into my face throughly getting up my nose and in my eyes. My not yet dulled by gluten free home brew reflexes made me quickly put my thumb over the hole. I still had beer in my face and couldn't at the time see the effect but after it was clear. The mighty beer would not be contained. My thumb really only assisted the gusher in building pressure. The ceiling was dripping beer. It was running down the cabinet. It was on the fridge, in the coffee grinder, and sprayed into the room next to me, a good 12-15 feet from where I was standing.

And now I know what having a gusher is like. I have to wonder how close I was to having bottle bombs with all that pressure. Those caps sure held tight even after about 5 years though.

You should have taken pictures of the carnage. :D

I've only had that happen once, but you're right... it's quite a disaster.

I had a "gusher" once. I had five gallons of fermenting grape juice explode in my basement. I brought it home the night before. It was in a large water-carrying type of jug. I assumed my basement would be cool enough to retard vigorous fermentation and I opened the vent. Little did I know that the vent did not work as it was never punched through. It blew the container up like a bomb. It was on the walls, floor, ceiling, etc. Wifey was not happy.

Back