"I Don't Know What To Call It" Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheeto

Born again N00b
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Taste Notes: Dark Brown Ale with a bitter, hoppy finish

Ingredients

3 lbs Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 52.17 %
2 lbs Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 34.78 % late addition
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 13.04 %
0.75 oz Chinook [14.00 %] (45 min) Hops 28.7 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [14.00 %] (30 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
0.25 oz Chinook [14.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast
Yeild 3.75 gallons

OG Mesured 1.072
Day 7 sg mesured 1.024
Day11 rack to tertiary sg mesured 1.020
Day 15 sg mesured 1.018

EST FG 1.016

plan on bottling with 4oz of dextrose

taste samples are very promising

I have enought stock to repeat this but I would like a little more complexity

does anyone have any ideas/opinions of other flavors that could be added to this ?

! don't be afraid to comment !

any idea will be welcomed !

That OG seems way high for 5 lbs of DME... are you missing something? other then that it looks good to me!

sounds like from the recipe It could be a porter.. however thats pretty light for a porter...maybe an experimental IPA since the IBU are so high..sounds pretty good though..try adding maybe oak chips if its still in secondary.. then you have a traditional british IPA.

I'm going to assume you meant 8lb total DME, because that gives exactly your measured OG.

If I had to name it, I'd probably call it something like "Imperial American Brown".

If you're looking for added complexity, I have a few ideas. You could add complexity to the malt profile by adding roasty notes from, for instance, two or three ounces of chocolate malt.
You could get a lot more from the hops from changing your additions from 60min, 30min, 15min to 60min, 15min, 1min. At 30min, you're still boiling away most of the flavour without as much IBU contribution as you get at 60min. If you have a very late addition (from 2min to flameout, anywhere in there) you will get a nice dose of hop aroma which can really enliven a beer. Chinook will give you heavy spicy aromatics - you have to decide whether you like that. If not, you can try using a milder traditional aroma hop (EKG, Willamette) to match your tastes.

As is, though, it still sounds pretty delicious.

If you're not in too much of a hurry, you can wait until this has mellowed for a while in bottles (and it will take a while to hit its peak, being a fairly strong beer - think in months, not weeks), and take your judgements from there.

Good job on good beer.
Cheers,
Kai

EDIT: btw, it sounds like you racked before you hit your OG. Always wait until your SG stops dropping and then some before racking to a conditioning vessel. The yeast need some time to finish their job and clean up after them selves. I, like many brewers, leave my beer to condition on the yeast cake. It saves the trouble of racking.

I made an all grain version similat to that last weekend.

11 lbs 2 row
.5 lb caro 3 (which is real dark)
.5 lb crystal 120
.5 lb canadian honey malt
.5 lb biscuit malt

1 oz chinook 60
.5 chinook 15
.5 chinook 5

I took someone elses recipe (Dark & Hoppy) and added the honey malt to it.

Kai said:
At 30min, you're still boiling away most of the flavour without as much IBU contribution as you get at 60min. If you have a very late addition (from 2min to flameout, anywhere in there) you will get a nice dose of hop aroma which can really enliven a beer.

Interesting! I suspected that 30 minutes wasn't efficient for flavor or bittering, but didn't get any takers on a thread I started about it.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but when you do an addition with less than 2 minutes left, do you leave the hops in for any of the cool down or just remove them at flameout?

How about Twin Engine Brown. All Chinook hops and a Chinook helicopter is a twin engine. Would make a cool looking label too.

thank you,

about the weird yeild I wanted to do a 3 gallon batch but it
was still a bit too big (thanks to beersmith)
so I adjusted the water to get the OG down to 1.068-1.072
this I planned on leaving alone untill May or so(Birthday Brew)

I want to get something else in the shoot for July

I'd say probably use the .25 oz of the crystal .25 oz roasted barley and add .25 chocolate malt.

for hops, probably some fuggles, .5 oz at 5 minutes left in the boil.

Back