Fruitiest ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question. Fuller's strain in a recipe with a lot of EKG will give you big fruit. If you only like bananas, some of the Bavarian weizen strains will crank that out in large quantity, as will Westmalle's. The Chimay strain is pretty fruity in general, though it throws some phenols as well, which somewhat take away from the prominence of the esters.

I guess a follow up question is, does it matter what kind of fruit?

I'm not fond of the Chimay strain unless it's a true belgian style beer. The phenols are just strange and get old quick.

I'm considering S-04 for my next "house yeast" for pales, IPAs, and ESB.

If you like it fruity, throw in some wyeast 1099 and let it ferment hot!!!

...A banana is a fruit, right?

1272 is pretty fruity, especially on the warm side (which seems to be the trend here).

I used 1272 and dryhopped with Bravo cold 40F and at about 2-3 weeks it got really fruity, it was different really showed in the finish.

WLP 1968 (ESB) was quite fruity for me. Might be good in an ipa?
edit- if you DO use this yeast, do a long, strong diacetyl rest in warmer temps at the end of fermentation on this mother *&^ing D-bomb! :)

Should've been more specific. I'm not looking for a Belgian strain.

If you're referring to the WLP 644, while it's technically a Belgian strain (isolated from a Belgian beer), it's not a typical Belgian ale yeast. It won't produce huge phenols like the abbey strains (clove, banana, etc), or any of the typical barnyard, sweat, or hay flavors of Brett in mixed fermentations (with souring bacteria). It produces lots of fruity esters, but with an otherwise 'clean' tasting - ale like fermentation - which is what it sounds like you're going for.

I haven't done an IPA with it, but those that have swear by it as an excellent fruity strain that pairs well with the newer fruity hops (Amarillo, Citra, etc)

If you're referring to the WLP 644, while it's technically a Belgian strain (isolated from a Belgian beer), it's not a typical Belgian ale yeast. It won't produce huge phenols like the abbey strains (clove, banana, etc), or any of the typical barnyard, sweat, or hay flavors of Brett in mixed fermentations (with souring bacteria). It produces lots of fruity esters, but with an otherwise 'clean' tasting - ale like fermentation - which is what it sounds like you're going for.

I haven't done an IPA with it, but those that have swear by it as an excellent fruity strain that pairs well with the newer fruity hops (Amarillo, Citra, etc)

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

O if you make a nice lighter summer ale 1332 northwest ale throws a bit of fruit, but to get the fruity yeast character I would go light on the hops and stay away from crystal malt.

I'm doing a citra/galaxy 2 row/crystal 40 blonde with wlp001 for summer. My goal was a citrus'y, passionfruit'y, grapefruity flavor with lots of tropical aroma. Most of my hops were at the end of the boil or at whirlpool.

my OG sampler and FG sampler were both very fruity smelling and tasting. Not sure why you'd avoid crystal like chuckstout said above, but I only did half a pound (maybe he can chime in).

Can't wait to get this blonde serving - it's already tasting fantastic. My gf wanted something light and easy to drink. She's getting a slightly darker blonde than the style allows and 6% abv :rockin:

644 will give you nice tropical flavors fresh but under pressure in the bottle/keg this strain tends to become slightly tart and a tad barnyard
After, it starts to break down the more complex sugars. A great Brett strain IMO

If bottle conditioning let it sit for 3-4 months. Brett does not do a great job of conditioning unless left for an extended period of time.

In terms of the fruity yeast i just used 1272 @68 on a kern river citra clone and its spanking me with its frutiness!!

I'm doing a citra/galaxy 2 row/crystal 40 blonde with wlp001 for summer. My goal was a citrus'y, passionfruit'y, grapefruity flavor with lots of tropical aroma. Most of my hops were at the end of the boil or at whirlpool.

my OG sampler and FG sampler were both very fruity smelling and tasting. Not sure why you'd avoid crystal like chuckstout said above, but I only did half a pound (maybe he can chime in).

Can't wait to get this blonde serving - it's already tasting fantastic. My gf wanted something light and easy to drink. She's getting a slightly darker blonde than the style allows and 6% abv :rockin:

A blonde with crystal 40?!?
Crystal malt sweetness tends to drown out fruity hops.
If you like that recipe now, rebrew it with crystal 10 and mash super low.
Dry crisp fruity IPAs never last more than 2-3 weeks at my place
Cheers!

Johnnyhitch1 said:
A blonde with crystal 40?!?
Crystal malt sweetness tends to drown out fruity hops.
If you like that recipe now, rebrew it with crystal 10 and mash super low.
Dry crisp fruity IPAs never last more than 2-3 weeks at my place
Cheers!

Haha yes, crystal 40. It's slightly out of style on purpose :)

If I redo this it may just be Marris Otter with galaxy/citra

I'm really enjoying 1272 right now for all my IPAs, pale ales, etc. Fruitiness is pretty mild fermented in the mid 60's, but still detectable.

my votes
1272 - american ale II (gives some nice fruit)
1968 - london ESB - last time i used this, it was sexy
as per wyeasts website about 1968

A very good cask conditioned ale strain, this extremely flocculant yeast produces distinctly malty beers. Attenuation levels are typically less than most other yeast strains which results in a slightly sweeter finish. Ales produced with this strain tend to be fruity, increasingly so with higher fermentation temperatures of 70-74°F (21-23° C). A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete. Bright beers are easily achieved within days without any filtration.

Back