Shoved the cork into the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcadieux

Reaction score
Argh, I just can't seem to get a break with this batch. So I made a brew o Hard Apple Cider and found out the was preservatives in it. Someone suggested I start some yeast and add it. I rehydrated last night and this morning i added it to the batch. In readjusting the stopper, I made a noob move and shoved the whole damn thing into the bottle.

No more stoppers! I placed a tin foil over the top like for the yeast started but my wife suggests I just added a foreign substance into the batch and it's ruined.

Ideas?

I wouldn't worry about introducing microbes until you're sure the much larger problem of the preservatives is overcome. Even with a starter, it may not ferment. Ironically, the preservatives inhibiting the fermentation are also keeping your cider safer from microbes.

What about the fact I no longer have an airlock, I just threw some aluminum foil on here then had to take off for work?

My first batch of beer had a similar problem- the rubber grommet from the bucket lid got pushed into the wort when I was adjusting the airlock.
I fermented it about 2 weeks with the hole covered by sanitized plastic wrap, and the beer turned out perfectly fine.

I can't guarantee that your cider will survive, but I'd try to let it ferment out and see what happens.
Add another airlock when you can.

Its bubbling away like mad! Sat AM i'll hit the LHBS to buy many extra corks..n00b mistake.

What preservatives are you fighting with? Potassium sorbate? Potassium metabisulfite?

open fermentation is not a problem. all you need to do is keep flies and dust out, the foil will do fine for that. when fermentation slows then you need to think about getting it out and into closed carboys with minimal head space, or let it finish completely and bottle it. since it's only 4L you should be able to find a wine jug or something 3.5 L to rack into

Potassium Sorbate

Tomorrow I'm going to buy some spare cork and airlocks. Also, it was amusing to watch the foil raise a drop silghlty as the c02 was escaping. I can rack it to another 4L carboy with the cover on o r back into the original 4L juice bottle?

Back