My Year in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
June 8, 2012 - Home (TGIF!)
Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA, Weyerbacher Brewing

i picked up two bottles at wegman's a couple of weeks ago because the price was right and drank one but wasn't thrilled enough to drink the second- what do you think? i am always curious as to NY opinions on PA beer...

June 9, 2012 - The White Horse Tavern, Manhattan
Schaefer Beer

image-4089494618.jpg

June 9, 2012 - The Algonquin Hotel, Mid-town Manhattan
Duvel Belgian Golden Ale

Drinking in New York City is enough to make you nuts. Earlier today I paid $22 for a Cosmopolitan (for my wife). Now, I have no problem dropping coin for good booze. I'll pay $10 for a 22oz bomber of something new and different. On whole I see the value and can justify the math in my head.

But in NYC, ordering up is like being on another planet. There's neither rhyme no reason to the pricing. Every transaction over the arm rail is a leap of faith. You place your bet (be it for Pabst, Pete's Wicked or Paulaner) and hold your breath when the bill comes. You could pay happy hour or home mortgage pricing. Better hope the beer gods are smiling.

Tonight I paid $7.00 for a ginger ale, $9.00 for a Miller Light and $11.00 for a Duvel. Someone 'splain that to me.

Can't wait to Metro North north tomorrow - back to my home brew and home court where I can buy beer that comes with a coaster instead of a co-signer...

image-2926078908.jpg

image-336559169.jpg

June 10, 2012 - The Ginger Man, Manhattan

Is drinking in Manhattan a kick in the nads? Absolutely. But today I was reminded why I often drag my nads down across the Tappan Zee bridge to be kicked.

I spent this afternoon at The Ginger Man on East 36th Street in midtown. The Ginger Man (http://www.gingerman-ny.com/) is a straight up, no bulls**t, beer lovers bar.

Our bartender (Anne) was passionate and knowledgeable about beer. In fact, she was the first female Certified Cicerone in NYC. Needless to say, I let her pick my beers. She started me with a Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA (sublime). Next she poured me a Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's (amazing). After that she pinted up a Green Point Harbor Big TIPA (delicious). All were great, and none put a dent in the number of 'just as great' beers left on the list. In between each round she gave me tastes of sours, saisons, seasonals and specialty beers. It was a little pour of heaven.

I had to leave. It broke my heart to do it. I'll be back soon with a second mortgage and a sleeping bag.

image-937863615.jpg

image-2335612133.jpg

image-2525640531.jpg

i picked up two bottles at wegman's a couple of weeks ago because the price was right and drank one but wasn't thrilled enough to drink the second- what do you think? i am always curious as to NY opinions on PA beer...

I'm with you. I love Simcoe hops, but I thought this beer was way over the top and in no way balanced. I forced the bomber down and was glad not to have a second one to contend with. I like a lot of PA beer, but this isn't one of them.

June 12, 2012 - IPA Hop Randall Experiment - At Home

Buddy of mine got himself a Hop Randall for his birthday. He gave me a sample of his IPA (on the left) and a sample of his IPA run through the Hop Randall filled with half a pound of Zeus hops (on the right). Can't say as it works for me. A lot more aroma from the Hop Randall, but the flavor added is too vegetal for me. Think I'll stick to dry hopping...

image-2206849791.jpg

June 13, 2012 - City Beer Hall, Albany
My first homebrew judged by a BJCP certified judge. 35 out of 50 for my Rye PA - I'll take it (thanks Don for being gentle whilst taking my cherry).

image-4198957156.jpg

image-4002209962.jpg

June 14, 2012 - The Backyard, post toil
Clown Shoes - Hoppy Feet, Black IPA (7.0% ABV)

Being a beer geek, I love trying new beers. I'm constantly delighted by the way brewers can take something you think you know and make subtle changes to it. Changes that make the beer that much better and that much more interesting. Because of this found fun, I'm always up to try a style of beer that I don't necessarily love because someone says 'you have to try this' (been talked into many a beer with fruit in it this way). Nothing ventured - nothing gained, right?

That being said, sometimes I just feel the need to give up on a style. I'm there with Black IPAs. On it's face, it's a beer I should love. I love dark beers and I love IPAs. But for some reason, I just can't like BIPAs. I've tried. I've tried Stone's Self-Righteous Ale. I've hunted down Firestone Walker's Jack Black. I even went out and found Odell's Double Black IPA. Didn't like one of them.

I tried brewing my own. Didn't like it. Everytime I see a BIPA on tap at brewery or see a new BIPA in a bomber at the beer store, I've tried them thinking that I just haven't found one to my taste. Every single time, I regret wasting precious beer time and beer space on another disappointment.

At this point I'm ready to give up the quest and avoid Black IPAs, India Dark Ales, Cascadian Dark Ales or whatever else they're calling failure this week. Life is too short - I'll have a 'anything else' please...

image-1451532356.jpg

June 16, 2012 - Mahar's
Mild At Heart (on cask), Wandering Star Brewing

What to say about Mahar's?

Jim Mahar was serious about beer before almost anyone else was serious about beer. For decades, he has enlightened Albany beer drinkers with the widest selection of beers you are (still) likely to find anywhere. That being said, Mahar's is not for the faint of heart or the easily offended. As Jim's website (http://www.itsonlybeer.com/) makes clear: "We're not actively seeking new customers, in fact we should probably lose a few that we already have".

Jim's ordering instructions (posted above the bar) say it all:
1. Order your beer by name
2. Say 'Please'
3. Take Your Beer
4. Go Away

A man after my own misanthropic heart...

image-974192356.jpg

1984, a friend's basement. Waiting for my bud to get ready to head to a High School party, hanging with his pops. His dad opened the fridge in his home-style "basement bar" and said, "Are you ready for a man's beer?" The fridge was full of cans of Genny Cream Ale. In the bottom drawer I saw a bunch of Molson's Golden bottles. Now as a 10th grade HS student, north of Buffalo in my little "Country Ghetto," Golden represented beer above my class. My friends and I used to work our a$$es off on local farms and pool a percentage of our weekly pay for road trips to Canada to get a case or two and savor them as best as children who really knew no better could. Much of the rest of our pay was spent on Genny, Old Mil and the likes.

Mr. Demmin grabbed two cans of Screamers and popped them simultaneously, one in each hand - I was duly impressed - and slid one my way. First beer that a grown-up offered me. I was still staring at the Molson's behind him in the opened fridge, but the gravity of the moment (from my perspective) was large enough to overcome the beer envy.

Then to my horror, as his dog walked behind the bar, Mr. D grabbed a bottle of the golden, popped the top on an opener that was screwed to the wall next to the fridge, and fed the beer to his dog! Literally, he tipped the bottle, put it to the dog's mouth, and poured the entire beer into the dog's mouth. Right about then my buddy came in, I chugged my can and thanked Mr. D and skinned out.

Amazing how much my taste in beer has changed over the past 25+ years. I don't pursue Molson's anymore at all. On the other hand, there is a place 4 hours north of where I now live in Florida that sells 30-packs of Genny in cans, 14.95$, and my neighbor and I have made annual road trips (he is a North-of-Buffalo transplant too).

I won't ever try to brew Genny Cream Ale, but the photo of your bottle a few days ago has sealed it - I'm going to brew at least 2 cream ales this summer. Thanks for the memory jolt, and I've enjoyed your posts from day 1. Keep it up.

1984, a friend's basement. Waiting for my bud to get ready to head to a High School party, hanging with his pops. His dad opened the fridge in his home-style "basement bar" and said, "Are you ready for a man's beer?" The fridge was full of cans of Genny Cream Ale. In the bottom drawer I saw a bunch of Molson's Golden bottles. Now as a 10th grade HS student, north of Buffalo in my little "Country Ghetto," Golden represented beer above my class. My friends and I used to work our a$$es off on local farms and pool a percentage of our weekly pay for road trips to Canada to get a case or two and savor them as best as children who really knew no better could. Much of the rest of our pay was spent on Genny, Old Mil and the likes.

Mr. Demmin grabbed two cans of Screamers and popped them simultaneously, one in each hand - I was duly impressed - and slid one my way. First beer that a grown-up offered me. I was still staring at the Molson's behind him in the opened fridge, but the gravity of the moment (from my perspective) was large enough to overcome the beer envy.

Then to my horror, as his dog walked behind the bar, Mr. D grabbed a bottle of the golden, popped the top on an opener that was screwed to the wall next to the fridge, and fed the beer to his dog! Literally, he tipped the bottle, put it to the dog's mouth, and poured the entire beer into the dog's mouth. Right about then my buddy came in, I chugged my can and thanked Mr. D and skinned out.

Amazing how much my taste in beer has changed over the past 25+ years. I don't pursue Molson's anymore at all. On the other hand, there is a place 4 hours north of where I now live in Florida that sells 30-packs of Genny in cans, 14.95$, and my neighbor and I have made annual road trips (he is a North-of-Buffalo transplant too).

I won't ever try to brew Genny Cream Ale, but the photo of your bottle a few days ago has sealed it - I'm going to brew at least 2 cream ales this summer. Thanks for the memory jolt, and I've enjoyed your posts from day 1. Keep it up.

Sounds like we grew up in parallel universes on opposite sides of the Genesee River. I grew up in Auburn (an hour east of Rochester) and graduated in 86 as well. We cut our teeth on Genny and PBR too, but our splurge import was OV splits.

Enjoy your Cream Ale brews. I have one in the kegerator right now. Great hot weather beer and it brings back great memories but the best part is - NO Genny Screamers!

Slainte'

Cool story.

Gotta say, as this is my "off" season for brewing, this thread is the singular reason I visit this site.

Once again, applause for your originality and enthusiasm.

:mug:

June 29, 2012 - TGIF,
Miller High Life, Midleton Irish Whiskey, Utica Club Draft

"Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't." It's going to be one of those nights...

image-1499851343.jpg

Latest posts

Back