Beer recommendations in Missouri?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theblaster

Reaction score
I have to take a trip through Missouri (St. Louis, Troy, Lebanon, Comumbia, Jefferson City, Moberly, Clinton) and was looking for some good local beers.

Any recommendations for brew pubs and/or bottled beers that I should discover?

In St. Louis you've got Schlafly with 2 locations (brew-pub downtownish, Bottleworks in Maplewood), for sure - a couple of newer ones as well, I think. Schlafly has a couple of excellent brews (I like their APA a lot, and their Pils is above average) and nothing they brew is bad. In Columbia we have Flat Branch brewpub - they've got a couple of decent house beers. Boulevard out in KC has decent beers on the shelf all over the state. I've never tried it, but there is a brewpub called Prison Brews in Jeff City that's housed in an old jail - google it; they have a web site. If your Lebanon leg stretched to Springfield, there's a brew-pub there (Springfield Brewery) - the brewmaster is a columnist for BYO magazine - never been there myself.
That's all I can think of - let me know what you think of any you try.

I suggest Urban Chestnut, one of my favorites is there Hopfen. Its a nice wheat IPA. Schlafley is also quite good they just dont have the stretch the style lines of beer that Urban Chestnut does.

wittmania said:
+1 Tank 7 is a great beer.

If you like that Belgian flavor. I have tried but can't.
The sixth glass is my favorite from that series.

A little postscript to my original post. Thanks for recommendations one and all.

I ended up at two places that actually merit comment. The first was Hoppers in Waynesville.
Home

Food was average at best, but they did have 66 taps active. Trying to find a broad selection of beers in that area? This is the place to go.

The other was Prison Brews in Jefferson City
Prison Brews Jefferson City Microbrewery and Restaurant

They make great beer. The food was excellent. The people working there are very friendly and knowledgeable. They even poured a few items off of their fermenters just to try some upcoming beers. Without a doubt this was the best place I went to in MO. Highly, highly recommended.

Schlafley is also quite good they just dont have the stretch the style lines of beer that Urban Chestnut does.

Schlafly makes over 40 different beers (to style as well) over the course of the year. Urban Chestnut has more?? Wowza! ;)

At any rate, I'd go for the Schlafly Taproom in downtown StL (because there are so many different styles to try), then Square One in Layfayette Square (for a good brew pub atmosphere and beers on cask all the time), the Exit 6 in Cottleville (5055 Hwy N, Cottleville, MO) for the owner, Jeff, and his great beers. He is a homebrewer turned pro, and is EXCITED about it, and is probably my favorite in the area. I wasn't impressed with the one beer (Zwickel) I had from Urban Chestnut enough to want any more, sadly enough. :(

ok so every one is talking about Urban Chestnut, and Schlafley, just a few blocks away from urban chestnut is Six Row brewing they have some good brew. So Columbia there is Flat Branch brew pub good food and beer

secondary Choc. Cherry Milk Stout, Apple wood smoked IPA, Belgium Wit, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Imperial IPA
Keg and bottel APA, German Rye, vanilla coffee milk stout, Robust Porter, Dark Saison

Perennial artisan brewery is great in st. Louis as well as the newest four hands brewing which opened yesterday

Boulevard smokestack series is ok. Most of their regular beers are just regular...

Of course I'm partial to Kansas beers so I'll also suggest Tallgrass and Free State.

Ive loved about ever schalfley i tried, wanted to try the pumpkin they had but it was sold so quick i couldnt get it this year. I think boulevard is pretty decent alsso. Smokestack is good, i loved nutcracker but this years seems different.

Back