Lil Help on an Aroma hop - Nugget or Chinook?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatwad

Reaction score
I'm brewing up a California Common this weekend, and its a pretty straight forward recipe with a fairly basic Hop Schedule:

9lbs American 2 Row
1 Lb Crystal 60

Hops:
1 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 (Bitter)
1 oz Northern Brewer @ 10 ( Flavor)
1 oz Norther Brewer @ 1 min (Aroma)

I have some Chinook and Nugget left over from an previous brew (both 1 oz, both unopened). I know these are typically used in bittering, but any thoughts about how this might spice up the nose on the Cali Common?

Thanks much!
Meatwad

I LOVE the northern brewer aroma/flavor for a common. I'd suggest using nugget or chinook for bittering if you want to use it, and keep the northern brewer for aroma/flavor and/or dryhopping.

Cool, thanks much....

The first time I made this straight up, I liked the bitterness...it was pretty mellow, but I thought it needed a bit more aroma. Flavor was delicious.

Could I up the Northern Brewer on the Aroma, and hit the Chinook/Nugget on the bittering end?

Thoughts on that breakdown??

If those are your only choices, I'd go Chinook. Nugget is my go-to bittering hop, and that's all I'd be tempted to use it for. Chinook is really kind of harsh IMO but its better than nugget.

Well, just to cover all the options, I like Nugget. As an aroma hop, I'd pick it over Chinook..

Back