Time Sensitive Hop Addition Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerichobill

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm brewing an english brown ale, but I can't find the instructions. I have 1oz of Goldings (5%) and 1oz of Northdown (8.5%). What would you expect the hop addition schedule to be? Thanks in advance.

I'd probably push the goldings to 10 minutes and reduce the amount of northdown to get your desired IBUs

Cut the 60 min addition to .75 and see what the calculator guesses on ibus. I have found that the calculators seem to be a bit high on the ibus so if you end up being a little over per style it's fine.

thx for the replies. i cut the northdown to 0.75 and pushed the goldings back to 10 minutes, let's see what happens! i did finally get in touch with the co. that i bought the kit from (austin homebrew) and they said that the recipe calls for 1oz northdown and 1/2oz goldings for 60 minutes and 1/2oz goldings for 15 minutes. beersmith says that's 44 ibu's when the max for the style is 30...must be an "american brown ale".

Cut the 60 min addition to .75 and see what the calculator guesses on ibus. I have found that the calculators seem to be a bit high on the ibus so if you end up being a little over per style it's fine.

btw..i thought this was interesting. are you basing that on taste on on previous brews with known bitterness? i mean: how would you know that the calculators run high on ibu's?

btw..i thought this was interesting. are you basing that on taste on on previous brews with known bitterness? i mean: how would you know that the calculators run high on ibu's?

Batch size is the main factor. 5 and 10 gallon batches have significantly less utilization rates than large systems. Some calculators allow one to adjust this percentage but most home brewers don't know this percentage and assume it is much higher than it really is or leave it at the default 'guess' producing a higher IBU estimate than reality.

Back