My First Barley Wine Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

as1084

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am planning to brew my first very own barley wine recipe in a couple weeks and not going to tap it until 11:59 PM NEXT New Year's Eve :rockin:. Please check out my recipe and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Style: American Barley Wine
Type: All-Grain
Batch Size: 5.5 Gallons
Boil Size: 6.5 Gallons
Original Gravity: 1.114
Final Gravity: 1.030
ABV: 10.8%
Yeast WLP 001- California Ale
Yeast Starter: Yes
Estimated Color: 66 HCU (∼26 SRM)
Primary Fermentation: 1 month
Secondary Fermentation: 3 months
Bulk Age in Keg: 8 months
Estimated IBU: 137
Efficiency: 70%
Boil Time: 60 min.

Ingredients:

22 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. American crystal 80L
1 lb. Belgian Special B
8 oz. American victory

3 oz. Columbus (12% AA) 60 min.
3 oz. Nugget (12% AA) 30 min.
2 oz. Fuggles (4.75% AA) 15 min.
.5 oz. Fuggles (4.75% AA) 5 min.
.5 oz. Fuggles (4.75% AA) 0 min.
3 oz. Columbus (12% AA) Dry-hop
1 oz. Oak Chips -- Dry-hop

Mash Schedule:

Mash: 7.5 gallons for 60 min. @ 151 F
Batch Sparge: 2 gallons for 5 min. @ 170 F

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks! :mug:

Good looking recipe, although I might back down on the C80 and Spec B (you'll have plenty of body/sweetness from the high OG). If you want to have the hop aromatics I would hold off on the dry hops until next December, then just toss them in a bag and into the keg. Good luck.

If you're worried about the color loss from scaling back the dark malts, just go with a long boil, 2.5 hours+

That's a good idea but my boil kettle isn't big enough to result in 5.5 gallons after a 2.5 hour boil. What I think I am going to do is scratch the 1 lb. of crystal 80 and replace it with 8 oz. of crystal 120 and scale down the special B to 8 oz . Hopefully that will still preserve a dark color and still give me some sweetness and body.

You can steal a move from Hair of the Dog, they boil down past the volume they are aiming for then top off. The concentrated boil gives more melanoidin production and a darker color. It worked well for me on a clone I did of their Adam.

You can steal a move from Hair of the Dog, they boil down past the volume they are aiming for then top off. The concentrated boil gives more melanoidin production and a darker color. It worked well for me on a clone I did of their Adam.

hmmm. I've never heard of anyone toping off in AG brewing before. I might have to try this on a small scale, like a 3 gallon batch. That must kill your OG though.

hmmm. I've never heard of anyone toping off in AG brewing before. I might have to try this on a small scale, like a 3 gallon batch. That must kill your OG though.

You're just bringing the volume back to where it would have been had you boiled for a shorter period, so the OG should be the same as planned (I think that's correct).

You're just bringing the volume back to where it would have been had you boiled for a shorter period, so the OG should be the same as planned (I think that's correct).

It depends on your boil/setup. I collected a normal amount of wort and did a really long (3.5 hour) boil. If you collect less wort that usual you are sparging with less and will get lower efficiency as a result. You are correct that it won't affect your efficiency compared to a shorter boil in and of itself.

There's always Sinamar for extra color. I recently added Sinamar to a Black IPA I brewed a month or so ago, and it dropped the color down a couple notches. Turned out fantastic.

Back