calculator for how much sugar to add

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomRep

Reaction score
I'm making my first cider and would like to raise my OG a bit. I'm looking for a calculator for figuring out how much sugar to use. I've searched on here and on Google and can't seem to find anthing. Does anyone have a resource for this? Thanks a bunch!
Tom

Does this apply for any kind of sugar or is this just white sugar? I know some folks use turbinado cane, corn sugar, honey, etc.

I'm not sure why everyone leaves this out…
Add the sugar - preferably dissolved in the smallest amount of water already - after a day or two or three in primary. This will keep your yeast in a lot better condition. Make your hydrometer your best friend and add the sugar as soon as your gravity is down to 50% of final.

I'm not sure why everyone leaves this out…
Add the sugar - preferably dissolved in the smallest amount of water already - after a day or two or three in primary. This will keep your yeast in a lot better condition. Make your hydrometer your best friend and add the sugar as soon as your gravity is down to 50% of final.

Adding sugar mid-ferment might be a good option in certain cases, such as avoiding excessively high OG's, but I doubt many cidermakers would consider it preferable in most ciders. Cider has a relatively low OG, so adding a moderate amount of sugar isn't too stressful for the yeast.

Does this apply for any kind of sugar or is this just white sugar? I know some folks use turbinado cane, corn sugar, honey, etc.

Refer to the nutritional facts of the sweetener you're using.

Example:
Honey
Serving Size: 21g / 1 Tbsp
Sugar: 17g

So this is 81% sugar (17/21). Need 1.23 lbs of honey to make 1 lb of sugar.

Back