Sparge flow rate control.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadKing

Reaction score
I'm rehabing my single tier 3 keg system. I'd like input on sparge control (fly sparge). Should I use a grant and pump from there, or use valve for control and pump directly into boil kettle. Direct seems best for recirculation but a grant seems better for run off control. Currently I switch between the two ,but it's a PITA.
I am also going to use quick disconnects. I guess you are all using free flow (no check valve)?
Thanks in Advance.

I think most people use a pump and throttle the output with a valve. If your boil keg is at the same level, I suppose you'd need 2 pumps.
Most people are using free flow QD's, either brass ones from mc master or SS tri clovers from swagman or brewers hardware. Poppets would restrict flow.

I gravity feed from MLT to BK and use a ball valve to adjust flow. I use a pump to move sparge water from HLT to MLT and again adjust flow with another ball valve.

It is a little bit of a dance getting them even and then just adjust as necessary. I sure would like to have some kind of a flow meter!

Back