Vanilla Cream Ale (Right before bottling)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnovah

Reaction score
I Just bottled my Vanilla Cream Ale, and got a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein and an extract version of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale into fermenters. Here are a few pics of the Vanilla Cream Ale for you guys.

Vanilla_Cream_in_Carboy_edit.JPG

VanillaCream_in_glass_edit.JPG

It came in at 1.010 FG and is just under 6% ABV. :)

I'll let y'all know the final verdict, but right now it has a medium-strong vanilla flavor with a very smooth finish. The alcohol kind of sneaks up on you, and it is surprisingly chuggable for 6% abv.

I've been wanting to make the Vanilla Cream Ale. Right now, it's about 3 down on my list. but I can't wait. Looks delicious.

Looks great and sounds yummy! Got a recipe for it?

I have this one carbing now https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/caramel-cream-ale-2435/
It was very sweet but very good next time I think I may not add as much lactose. you get a very strong caramel flavor from it. I even burnt it when brewing but the end product didn't taste bad or burnt. if it did I was going to call it creme brulee beer..:rockin:

Here is the recipe, mostly based on my LHBS recipe for cream ale.

Adjuncts
(steeped for 30 minutes @ 160 and then sparged)
1 lb. domestic six-row pale malt
1/2 lb. cara-pils malt
1/2 lb. flaked maize (corn)

Extracts:
4 1/2 lbs. light unhopped malt extract
1 1/2 lb. Brewery Grade Corn Syrup

Hops
1 oz. U. S. Hallertauer hops (bittering) at 60 mins.
1/4 oz. Cascades hops (flavoring) at 30 mins.
1/4 oz. Cascades hops (finishing) at Flame Out.

I used Wyeast #1056 for this, letting it sit overnight after popping it. I left it the primary for 10 days. I cut two vanilla beans in half and split them, then I siphoned on top of them in the secondary. (I had them in a steeping bag.) I left the secondary alone for about 3 weeks.

My SG was 1.054 (recipe called for 1.048) and FG is 1.010.

Oh man, looks great! Everytime I see pictures of a new beer I want to brew it myself...damn this hobby.

Nice pics too btw.

Curt

I've got Cheesfood's vanilla caramel cream bottle conditioning for a week now. Seeing how I hate waiting I tried one this weekend. It was already fully carbonated, but still a little new. Next time maybe I’ll cut back on the vanilla, but SWMBO loves it, so maybe I won’t.

This one will be an absolute killer when it’s aged.:rockin:

I'm finishing off my 3rd Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale.
It is a regular in my brewing rotation now.

Whatever happened to Cheesefood? He had the funniest (and sick) avatars...

Next time maybe I’ll cut back on the vanilla, but SWMBO loves it, so maybe I won’t.

This one will be an absolute killer when it’s aged.:rockin:

I know what you mean. We popped a bottle open yesterday, and even though it wasn't really carbinated yet, I had to wrestle it away from SWMBO to get a taste. She is going to make me make it again too. She got mad at me when I told her I had to give some away because a guy at work gave me a pump.

Back