Started My Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thromgar

Reaction score
Well, I finally did it. Got a batch of mead into the carboy. This is a low alcohol, low SG mead that I hope will be ready fairly quickly. I am trying for something that I can drink fairly quickly (read a couple of months) so my next batch can take a bit longer and mature while this one is being passed around.

So what I did:
5 pounds Wild Mountain Honey
1 pound Buckwheat Honey
30 Fluid Oz of Pomegranate Berry Concentrate

I combined all of these ingredients with Spring Water, stirred the bejesus out of it, and made sure it was well aerated. Poured it into the carboy and added more spring water to top off. I then aerated and mixed by shaking the carboy vigorously, also making sure the fresh water mixed thoroughly with the already mixed solution. Pitched my yeast, which was re-hydrated with goferm and put it in a closet with an airlock.

Starting SG: 1.060
Lalvin D47 yeast

I plan to aerate the must, and add more nutrients as it goes along here for the first couple of days.

Hopefully it will take off like a rocket and ferment out completely dry. The only issue will be if it turns out really good and I have to try and recreate it from scratch, as the concentrate I used is no longer available. Other than that it tastes good going into the carboy, I hope it tastes good coming out.

Congrats on the mead! I started my first batch today as well, only three gallons total. It contains eight lbs of honey and I also pitched D47. I'll probably split it into three one gallon batches at secondary. I was planning on keeping one straight, adding fruit to the second, and possibly ginger to the third. Thank God I have beers and ciders to brew in the intervening months!!!

Edit: It's already fermenting away and making a nice chocolate pudding like krausen and the airlock is bubbling nicely!!!

Yes indeed, the big five pound can is a great way to start a lighter batch.

My mead is bubbling along today, so the yeast has been working overtime, now to watch and wait.

Back