Kegerator Conversion Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHog

Reaction score
I am going to be turning either a chest freezer into a kegerator or a small refrigerator into a kegerator in the near future. I have a few questions that I hope you all will be able to help me with.

1. If I put a collar on the freezer, is silicon sufficient to keep the collar connected to the freezer? Is there a better option? (Keep in mind, I am not what most people consider "handy" with tools. Simple works best with me). I would plan on using 2x6 wood for the collar.
2. Through reading previous threads, I figured out that the Sanyo 4912 is the best refrigerator to use for small kegerators. Only problem is, they don't make them anymore. Is there a similar model that I can use that is currently on the market? If there is, what goes into securing the seal where the tower is drilled in?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Use 1x6 if you want a 6" collar, Bolt it on. But better off, screw the collar and just put a tower in.

Problem with the mini-fridges is that they generally only hold two kegs.

I want four on tap. My big ole fridge in the garage can hold up to six, but it is in the garage, not my office upstairs.

I will make do, for now, but am scanning CL for a small freezer deal.

Then, the garage fridge can be a fermenter and lager rig.

I used gorilla glue to hold my collar on. It's a little messier looking, but it worked just fine. You can always caulk around the seam to pretty it up. Remember that the collar has to support the lid when it's open, too.

for the mini fridge question about the seal for the tower i got some spray on seal and filled the hole after i had my line running through. seals it up nice and tight

Anyone else have any suggestions?

I just did this and put a 2x10 collar on mine and insulated the wood with foam.

silicon is good enough mine holds great screwing it down is not needed.

Think about your sink or bath tub they are siliconed in and do they move anywhere?

I'm sure if you reefed on it it would come off but its more then enough .

Quick question for the keg-uninitiated... what's a collar and how does it help to use a tower instead? A tower is a tap set up, I know, so I assume a collar has something to do with a dispenser.

Thanks!

Quick question for the keg-uninitiated... what's a collar and how does it help to use a tower instead? A tower is a tap set up, I know, so I assume a collar has something to do with a dispenser.

Thanks!

The tower on a chest freezer would go out through the lid. That makes it harder to open if the back of the kegerator is against a wall. Also, towers are pretty pricey, so depending on the number of taps you want, collars can be a lot more economical. The collar allows you to run the faucet shanks right through it, without the expense of a tower, allowing you to put that money into more taps. A tower with 2 cheap faucets might cost about $250, you could easily get 4 good faucets and shanks for that price, and the collar price is minimal.

Plus, there's the issue of keeping the lines cool in the tower that you don't have with a collar.

Thanks!

A collar is placed between the lid and the freezer, giving a safe zone to drill through (the sides have coolant lines running through that you do NOT want to puncture! Also, the extra height in the freezer might allow kegs on top of the compressor hump.

:mug:

EDIT: I'm typing slooooow tonight :D

Back