brew day 10/20/12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerthoven

Reaction score
Heating water for the mash.

ForumRunner_20121020_161929.jpg

Final cool down. I start by running tap water through the chiller, then switch to recirculated ice water to get down to pitching temp.

ForumRunner_20121020_194235.png

All settled in the cooler, where it will stay for at least 3 weeks at 65 degrees.

After 3-4 weeks, I'll rack to a secondary and allow it to clear further for a week or two before kegging.

ForumRunner_20121020_201046.png

Whatcha brew???

I'm calling it an Amber IPA, but it's really just an odds 'n' ends brew to use up some stuff I had lying around.

This was my first brew in over 5 months. Felt a bit rusty but hit all my numbers and finished in about 4 hours, so it was good.

Yooper said:
I"m making an IPA tomorrow- 10 gallons of the DFH clone.

Thanks for the pictures! I love seeing photos of people brewing, and the set ups. Very cool!

In that case Yooper, feast your eyes on this gorgeous setup. One 10 gallon kettle, one 10 gallon cooler. Hot water goes into the kettle and strikes, wort goes into bucket, more hot water sparges, buckets of wort go into boil kettle. Making some darn good beer on this. The guys in my brew club were miffed to see my rig lol. Yes I do boil right there in that table. Haven't caught my home on fire yet. I've got plans to get a 20 gallon kettle, and I've already got pumps and stuff but only so I can go bigger, not because I need to.

image-964164748.jpg

I"m making an IPA tomorrow- 10 gallons of the DFH clone.

Thanks for the pictures! I love seeing photos of people brewing, and the set ups. Very cool!

Thanks, Yooper. I haven't been brewing much lately. Made some wine instead, and we renovated our kitchen so I didn't have a clean space to work for a few months. Getting back into it now that fall is coming on.

These photos really make me want to brew. That deck looks like a nice, relaxing place to set up your brew day. Work and life have kept me too busy to brew. Maybe in a week or two I can brew a spiced jack'o'lantern porter I have planned. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Yooper. I haven't been brewing much lately. Made some wine instead, and we renovated our kitchen so I didn't have a clean space to work for a few months. Getting back into it now that fall is coming on.

I've missed "seeing" you around! Glad to see you're getting back into it.

I finished my batch pretty early today, and decide to do a full cleaning afterwards. I used PBW first, then rinsed, and then used Acid no. 5 for an acid wash, then rinse. Everything is sparkling clean, and I'm exhausted. Except............it looks so good that I'm itching to brew again. :drunk:

Back