American Wheat Beer Orange American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed the extract version of this awesome recipe. Great Summer beer. Thanks for posting it.

Rob

photo(3).jpg

Just put this in my fermentation chamber...
SG: 1.057...Very happy.
Smelled awesome! Looking forward to this one!

I just kegged my 30th gallon of this. :mug:

I think I am going to upgrade my equipment to do 10 gallon batches over the winter. I can't keep this stuff around.

Fermentation underway. Smells like oranges in my fermentation chamber!
Good lord I have a feeling this beer is going to be amazing. I only do 1 gallon batches now, but wanted to assure I used enough orange, so I used 0.6 oz of zest in my batch. I definitely think it'll shine through. Can't WAIT to drink this one.

Originally, I was going to brew up a plain old wheat beer this weekend, and the following weekend rack a Honey Kolsch on to half the remaining yeast cake.

If I use this recipe, any ideas how the orange zest, remaining in the cake, will impact the Kolsch? I don't need to follow a traditional Kolsch brew, so a little orange won't scare me.

The Kolsch recipe will be
6.75 Rahr Pilsner
1 Rahr White Wheat
0.25 Honey Malt
1 Honey

When I dumped my yeast I picks out some orange peel and tasted them out of curiosity. Virtually no flavor, t probably won't impact the kolsch.

brewing tomorrow...lhbs was out of flaked wheat...i hope it doesn't change the taste too much.

How Important is the flaked wheat in this recipe. My Order arrived today minus the flaked wheat as the supplier is out of stock.
Is there something I can do, short of waiting it out until its in stock again?
Thanks in advance

Slainte!

How Important is the flaked wheat in this recipe. My Order arrived today minus the flaked wheat as the supplier is out of stock.
Is there something I can do, short of waiting it out until its in stock again?
Thanks in advance

Slainte!

It can be brewed without it. I used it in this recipe to add a little more smoothness and head retention. It does add some flavor (like a wheat "bite" or tang) but it really shouldn't change the flavor too much. I just like wheat beers that have that bite to them. Keep us posted!

I brewed this and it's now ready for the masses. I used saaz for spiciness. It's delicious and a keeper.

ForumRunner_20120610_202629.jpg

Fermentation underway, 100% to recipe...smells glorious. Thanks Newbeerguy for forcing me to go AG ;)

It turned out really well. Some nice orange aroma balanced with hop floral notes and spice. Clean and refreshing.

Just a quick question is there a certain kind of orange (brand) to use in this or just any you find in the grocery store? Thanks.

This is smelling great in the fermenter. Going into secondary in a few days.
Just wondering if I wanted to to a half batch of this or any other beer for that matter , is it just a case of halving the recipe ?

shadows69 said:
Just a quick question is there a certain kind of orange (brand) to use in this or just any you find in the grocery store? Thanks.

I pretty much use whatever the store has, I believe I've used Valencia and Naval and I couldn't taste any difference.

Brewing this for the third time tomorrow night. Pitching WLP001 slurry from an IPA.

I think the color turned out BRILLIANT. I'll update you on the head/taste soon...my friends an I are very excited and I have already reordered the ingredients.
Cheers

image-1770709252.jpg

Said good bye to this keg today. This was a great brew. I will try some more orange peel next time. I enjoyed this much more than I expected to. Thanks for the recipe!

image-3580095840.jpg

Trying this one today. Very excited about it.

Edit: Brew day went smoothly. Hit 1.052 so I'm very close to the recipe. Tasted great. Very excited about this one.

So I'm going to brew this for the third time tomorrow. I was contemplating substituting some dried orange peel granules I bought from Whole Foods instead of the fresh zest. Has anyone done this in this beer, and if so, does anyone have an idea of the relative amounts to add? I added between 2-4 oz of fresh zest in the past but I don't know how to convert that to dried. I'm thinking a 50% reduction in the amount due to the loss of water.

Trying this one today. Very excited about it.

Edit: Brew day went smoothly. Hit 1.052 so I'm very close to the recipe. Tasted great. Very excited about this one.

I just kegged this today. Super excited about it. I have tried some other wheat recipes but this one is a keeper. Thanks for sharing, I'd highly recommend trying it.

I'm just learning how to plug this recipe in BeerSmith 2. I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I have all the ingredients in there but the Est. Original Gravity is off from the recipe, ABV is off, and the bitterness is way off. Do I just slide those over to match?

I'm just learning how to plug this recipe in BeerSmith 2. I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I have all the ingredients in there but the Est. Original Gravity is off from the recipe, ABV is off, and the bitterness is way off. Do I just slide those over to match?

Hi cgsrfr,

There are alot of variables that can change those values. Effiency will effect the Original Gravity and ABV, also the amount of Alpha Acids your hops actually have will affect the bitterness. How far off is the bitterness?

My suggestion is to be plug in all your variables (your typical effiency, your hops actual AA%, ect and see where it gets you. Scale the recipe accordingly.

cgsrfr said:

Also make sure the recipe type is set to all-grain. I think it is set to extract by default and I've forgot to change that a few times and took me a while to figure out why all my numbers were so far off.

I'm all set to make this (again - 1st batch this summer turned out great!)

But, I've only got 1oz. of Hallertauer hops left at the moment. I'll probably sub Williamette for the other 1 oz. addition. Where should I keep the Hallertauer, the 60 min or 15 min addition?

I'm all set to make this (again - 1st batch this summer turned out great!)

But, I've only got 1oz. of Hallertauer hops left at the moment. I'll probably sub Williamette for the other 1 oz. addition. Where should I keep the Hallertauer, the 60 min or 15 min addition?

Depends if you'd like a little more hop flavor. I think Williamette is a little more spicy than Hallertauer and if you use the Williamette as the late addition, I think you'd get some more hop notes comming though. Either one would work, just personal preference.

I don't know if it was mentioned here, but a Microplane works great for zesting citrus without digging up any bitterness. It also works great for garlic, ginger, nutmeg, and KSC is very low. KSC, or Knuckle Skin Coefficient, is the amount of skin it removes from your knuckles during use.

Well, I got a late start this year, but I'm currently brewing up another batch of this to have ready for Memorial Day weekend. Getting ready for the orange zest addition. :mug:

Mmmm_zpse66226cf.jpg

I'm brewing this one right now, with the first couple days in the 90s at my house this week, think its about time for a beer to enjoy the weather with.

This recipe is going to be my second shot at all-grain after I was introduced to the world of homebrewing from 1 gal AG kit.
I'm now going to make this but scale it to 2.5 gals. I had a couple questions though that I hope someone could answer.
Does anyone know how much I would have to adjust the strike water temperature to hit the 154 mash with it scaled down? Also, for those who added coriander, how much and when did you add it? Any other tips or help you guys could offer is greatly appreciated. I'm excited and nervous at the same time to make this and not screw it up. I'm going to be using Deathbrewers Stove-Top BIAB method. I'm not sure if that matters or not? Thanks again!

.35 oz of coriander is my limit. Depends on your taste. I shoot for 11 degrees above so 165 degrees would come down to 154, but I do all grain not sure if the same rule applies.

Great! Thanks, Shadow. Do you add the coriander at flameout? Hopefully I can hit the temp correctly. I'm using all-grain as well...just the Easy Stove Top Method where you dunk sparge the bag for 10 mins after mashing. I just wasn't sure if there was a variance in strike temp with it being scaled to 2.5, but I guess if the water and grains are scaled correctly, it shouldn't affect the strike temp. I'm gonna take your advice and mash at 165 as a starting point, then just adjust as needed if I miss the 154. Thanks again for your help.

Brewing a batch of this today. Second time with this recipe. It was great the first time so I'm super excited about it. Thanks again for the recipe.

Hi,

Sounds like a great beer. I want to try it this weekend.
Just one question are you really getting such a high attenuation on this?
OG 1.055 to FG 1.010?
With such a high (154) mash temperature I would expect there to be a lot of unfermentable sugars developing or is the S-05 really that efficient with this temperature?

Back