Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MisterTipsy said:
I think I do a different kind of wet shaving.

I shave in the shower without a mirror. I use a two blade Schick disposable and King of Shaves gel. Works like a charm. Plus, I can pee, shower and shave all at the same time. :ban:

You don't know what you are missing.

I'm finally starting to save money after shelling out for a different soap/cream and blades. Of course buying the Fatboy didn't help but I love that razor and love it with Shark Chromes. Since moving Proraso has become my favorite soap and that puck is lasting a LONG time. :D

I gave my dad my 1904. I hope he likes it since he didn't seem to get his injector working right...

I have been shaving more and more with my straights, I can shave pretty quick at this point, and I feel like I am smoothe for a little while longer after the straight shave

I'm having a hard time with both my straight and DE on my neck. My hair seems to grow diagonally (downward and away from my adams apple) ond I just irritate the sh*t out of my neck when I shave there. I have a goatee, so thats hard to shave around and still get those hairs. I always have to clean it up with my disposable, which feels like cheating. Any tips?

My neck used to give me trouble as well. Aside from making sure you use a warm towel for a few minutes to really soften up that area my irritation stopped when I started using a pre shave oil. Some of the guys on ere use olive oil mixed inn with there soap or cream, many be worth a shot.

MyNameIsPaul said:
I'm having a hard time with both my straight and DE on my neck. My hair seems to grow diagonally (downward and away from my adams apple) ond I just irritate the sh*t out of my neck when I shave there. I have a goatee, so thats hard to shave around and still get those hairs. I always have to clean it up with my disposable, which feels like cheating. Any tips?

I have been using 4-5 drops of olive oil when I build my lather. I don't have issues with irritation as long as I go with the grain. Before making my against the grain neck pass, I rinse and rub in a few drops of olive oil to my neck, lather and make that last pass. This has been working well. I also use a blade buffing type pass as well.

i love wet shaving! You definitely need to soak your face in hot water for 5-10 minutes or shower before you shave. This helps avoid neck irritation. Also, soak your badger brush (or whatever brush you have) in hot water. Making sure everything is hot will help with irritation. Also, make sure you do four passes when you shave (with the grain, across the grain, across the grain (the other way), and then against the grain). Also, if you need to shave every day or every other day, only shave against the grain like a couple times a week at first until you get less irritation. Hope this helps!

Hmmm, this all looks very interesting. At the moment, shaving just seems like an inconvenience, do it every other day and even though I'm like the least hairy 26 year old in the world; I still struggle to get a close shave (especially just under my chin / on my kneck). I currently use a mach 3, which is quick but not particularly effective (and expensive!!!)

I often work early in the morning, and don't have much time to take my time shaving; I like sleeping as much as possible then getting up, breakfast etc in under half an hour; would wet shaving be practical, would I be more likely to do it in the evenings, could I shave less often, could I use a mach 3 for the mornings I'm in a rush?

Also, why are there double edge razors... what's wrong with a single? It's like having two engines in your car but only using one at a time surely?

ChillWill said:
Hmmm, this all looks very interesting. At the moment, shaving just seems like an inconvenience, do it every other day and even though I'm like the least hairy 26 year old in the world; I still struggle to get a close shave (especially just under my chin / on my kneck). I currently use a mach 3, which is quick but not particularly effective (and expensive!!!)

I often work early in the morning, and don't have much time to take my time shaving; I like sleeping as much as possible then getting up, breakfast etc in under half an hour; would wet shaving be practical, would I be more likely to do it in the evenings, could I shave less often, could I use a mach 3 for the mornings I'm in a rush?

Also, why are there double edge razors... what's wrong with a single? It's like having two engines in your car but only using one at a time surely?

After my morning shower I can get a quick shave in with my double edge safety in the morning no problem, 5-7 minutes tops, that's building the lather, applying the lather and making 3 passes with a re-lather between passes. I have been at this for a while though.

As for the double edge, one blade edge is on each side of the razor head, I shave my left cheek to my jaw, turn the razor 180° and shave the right side, rinse the razor and do the left side of my neck, rotate and shave the right side... it lets you get more use out of it.

Thanks Azscoob - I think I'll start putting a few bits together; even if I only find time to do it on the weekends it'd be nice; I'm a brewer so I never need to be excessively clean shaven or smart looking throughout the week.

Are there any good 'starter' razors to go for? The Merkur razors all seem to get good reviews but I can't tell between them. The 1904 is affordable for me, as is the 23C. I'm leaning toward the 23C as some people have said the 1904 has a bit of a short handle (don't know if this is true or not, or what it's short in comparison to).

ChillWill said:
Thanks Azscoob - I think I'll start putting a few bits together; even if I only find time to do it on the weekends it'd be nice; I'm a brewer so I never need to be excessively clean shaven or smart looking throughout the week.

Are there any good 'starter' razors to go for? The Merkur razors all seem to get good reviews but I can't tell between them. The 1904 is affordable for me, as is the 23C. I'm leaning toward the 23C as some people have said the 1904 has a bit of a short handle (don't know if this is true or not, or what it's short in comparison to).

I started with a nine dollar 1930s gillette tech I got on Ebay, it is still my favorite razor, forgiving to a new shaver, but it holds its own with a feather blade in it. I have 12 DE razors and 2 straight razors, that tech is still top of my rotation!

The merkur models are nice, the 1904 is a classic proven design, It is based on the gillette original safety razor, hence the 1904 name. I also like the 37c slant bar, but that is an aggressive razor for a noob.

I have a 23C. It is a good razor, and the handle is longer than the 1904. The 23C has a 3 5/8 handle. However, If I were starting over, I would just go to the Merkur Slant Bar. It cost a couple bucks more but is def worth it in my opinion. I believe others have mentioned this as well in this post.

If you get a brush and soap, and switch from canned goo your shaving results will improve. and you can still use your mach3.

Edwin Jagger DE89L is a great starter, or if you want to go vintage the Gilette Tech in all its forms is well worth owning and cheap

My favourite is the Fatboy on 4 :eek:

I had a Merkur 23C as my first one but gave it away to friend when I got a Tech - no idea how good it was really as I was a total noob then

I'd say my neck has improved mostly because of my better prep (face lathering with some proper soap/cream for a few minutes rather than just rubbing on some canned stuff) and using some decent aftershave/post shave things.

oh and hello HBT :wave: I've lurked for ages but never posted

Edwin Jagger DE89L is a great starter, or if you want to go vintage the Gilette Tech in all its forms is well worth owning and cheap

My favourite is the Fatboy on 4 :eek:

I had a Merkur 23C as my first one but gave it away to friend when I got a Tech - no idea how good it was really as I was a total noob then

I'd say my neck has improved mostly because of my better prep (face lathering with some proper soap/cream for a few minutes rather than just rubbing on some canned stuff) and using some decent aftershave/post shave things.

oh and hello HBT :wave: I've lurked for ages but never posted

I forgot about the jagger, another quality bit of shavery (yup, made that up just now) welcome to the forum by the way!

You missed a spot....

Is that a parker shavette? I have been looking at one of those

I'll get it next time:mug:

But yea, it is a parker, actually. The spine feels wierd cause it's plastic. No real weight to it. But I guess it'll be good practice before I dive into a straight razor.

I've got a double edge safety as well that I'm much better at...

Penguinetti said:
I'll get it next time:mug:

But yea, it is a parker, actually. The spine feels wierd cause it's plastic. No real weight to it. But I guess it'll be good practice before I dive into a straight razor.

I've got a double edge safety as well that I'm much better at...

Would you mind posting a couple closeups of that shavette? I thought they were full stainless, even the scales unless you got the black or white handles

Hmm.. you now have me doubting that it's a parker. I'll go home today and double check. If it is a parker, I'll take pictures for you.

I use cheap Barbasol (when I don't use Zest), store brand blades and a DE razor in the shower with no mirror. No techniques, jargon or sophistication. Just a shave. Oh, face and head.

I have the same problem. First, hold a very hot, wet facecloth over your face for a few minutes before shaving, which will soften the hairs. Also, don't try to get all the hair in one shot. Lather up, make a pass going WITH the grain and rinse. Then lather again and make a pass going AGAINST the grain and rinse. Don't put too much pressure on the blade, just let it glide gently. If you still feel rough spots, shave them lightly after you apply moisturizer or lotion.

I've had people tell me that if you do this, the hair will learn to regrow straight. Mine never did, but this works for me.

Pilgarlic said:
I use cheap Barbasol (when I don't use Zest), store brand blades and a DE razor in the shower with no mirror. No techniques, jargon or sophistication. Just a shave. Oh, face and head.

You ever cut your dome? I've thought of shaving my melon just worry about nicks and whatnot

azscoob said:
You ever cut your dome? I've thought of shaving my melon just worry about nicks and whatnot

I deforested my skull tonight. No real cuts. I took the top off of some pimples. All was well in short order.

Well I've taken the plunge and bought a brush, Merkur DE, proper soap and a sample pack of blades; not that cheap but should pay for itself within my lifetime haha.

Although I've mostly done it for the reports of better skin etc, even though my skin is pretty awesome at the minute (good diet, few supplements), I still get a bit of blotchy / redness on my chin when shaving (maybe ingrowing hairs? I have to go against the grain with a mach 3 just to get something like 'close').

azscoob said:
Would you mind posting a couple closeups of that shavette? I thought they were full stainless, even the scales unless you got the black or white handles

So here it is. I was mistaken. The blade holder is stainless steel, but the scale is plastic. Works well enough. I've used it twice now.

ForumRunner_20120704_222410.jpg

ChillWill said:
Well I've taken the plunge and bought a brush, Merkur DE, proper soap and a sample pack of blades; not that cheap but should pay for itself within my lifetime haha.

Although I've mostly done it for the reports of better skin etc, even though my skin is pretty awesome at the minute (good diet, few supplements), I still get a bit of blotchy / redness on my chin when shaving (maybe ingrowing hairs? I have to go against the grain with a mach 3 just to get something like 'close').

Follow the process and you will be baby butt smooth

Penguinetti said:
So here it is. I was mistaken. The blade holder is stainless steel, but the scale is plastic. Works well enough. I've used it twice now.

There are a couple different versions, one has black plastic scales, one has white plastic scales and one has stainless steel scales. I might pick one up, I have a box of 120 shark half blades that were sent to me on accident. May as well use em.

I have the same problem. First, hold a very hot, wet facecloth over your face for a few minutes before shaving, which will soften the hairs. Also, don't try to get all the hair in one shot. Lather up, make a pass going WITH the grain and rinse. Then lather again and make a pass going AGAINST the grain and rinse. Don't put too much pressure on the blade, just let it glide gently. If you still feel rough spots, shave them lightly after you apply moisturizer or lotion.

I've had people tell me that if you do this, the hair will learn to regrow straight. Mine never did, but this works for me.

My neck hairs do the same thing (they actually swirl), I never do an against the grain pass on my neck at all, just one with and one or two across. Very short strokes, no pressure at all.

EoinMag said:
Tip #1 there is no DE blade that comes near the Feather. You're welcome.

Meh.

I've tried them, I prefer the Gillette 7 o'clock platinums any day over the feather.

Just had my first go, caught myself once but only just; had worse off a mach 3.

Feels ok, my soap & brush hasn't arrived yet so used some gel out a can.

Hey guys, how often do you shave?

I was a 'shave once a week' kind of guy back when I used disposables (mainly because I didn't care about shaving), and a 2-3 x week guy with the DE (it's quick and become more of a ritual).

Now that i'm using the shavette, I've been shaving every day to get the hang of using the my hands differently. But I don't know if I'm overshaving. My neck feels a little irritated. But I'm baby-butt smooth.

Penguinetti said:
Hey guys, how often do you shave?

I was a 'shave once a week' kind of guy back when I used disposables (mainly because I didn't care about shaving), and a 2-3 x week guy with the DE (it's quick and become more of a ritual).

Now that i'm using the shavette, I've been shaving every day to get the hang of using the my hands differently. But I don't know if I'm overshaving. My neck feels a little irritated. But I'm baby-butt smooth.

I'm an every other day shaver. I will sometimes shave everyday depending on where I need to go or what I am doing

I shave most days, I tend to take a break at the weekend, but it really actually depends on whether or not I workout.

I am jogging now every second day, so that is making it an every two days affair mostly, although sometimes I will shave at work when I get in, I have a travel kit for when I want to shave in the office, we have good facilities here and I shower here anyway cos I cycle in daily.

i just noticed this thread.. i've been a wet shaver for about 5 years now.. the amount of money i've saved on blades is priceless.. i tend to buy 100 feathers at a time every year or two.. i can use the same one for 2-3 shaves depending on how long i've waited.. i "try" to be an every other dayer, but sometimes it goes to every 2 days.. converted one person just from posting stuff on facebook about it..

I shave everyday but sunday. Unless I have to work a double then I don't care... When I used carts it was when I needed to shave. When I started DE It was every other day then I just liked being smooth so I started going everyday.

Latest posts

Back