Marking your carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well a match would get the wax right off... I'm going to buy some tomorrow and do a test bottle with some wax I have for candlemaking

Here is my first attempt at etching my carboy. Disregard the dirty carboy, I need to clean it. Pretty simple to etch.
DSC_0395.JPG

DSC_0393.JPG

I finally got around to marking my carboys! I etched 2, 7 Gal carboys and 1, 5 Gal. This was super easy once I got my water graduations marked on the carboy.

1114-carboy-etching-set-up.jpg

1115-carboy-etching-set-up.jpg

1118-carboy-etching-finished.jpg

I tried this today, it turned out ok, but I should have left the acid on there for longer than 5 minutes. It is really faint and hard to read. I am going to do it again on my other two carboys but leave it on for 15 minutes this time.

I tried this today, it turned out ok, but I should have left the acid on there for longer than 5 minutes. It is really faint and hard to read. I am going to do it again on my other two carboys but leave it on for 15 minutes this time.

I leave mine for 20 min. Make sure you have a thick, uniform covering of the paste.

Simple photo addition...

100_1872.jpg

I used standard vinyl numbering, but applied the backing vs the number itself. Prep time was about an hour....etch time took about 7 minutes including the cleanup :drunk:

I leave the acid on for 45 minutes. It eventually tries. But it etches very evenly this way. I did a couple tries at 10 minutes and some spots didn't come out as well. So 45 minutes worked well on the 2 other carboys I did.

It's a 6.5 carboy but you can get 7 in it.

Damn you Bytor! I have enough projects without you adding more.:D
Way too cool!:mug:
I also live in Utah, but I escaped Happy Valley about seventeen years ago. I live in Sugarhouse area of SLC.
Bytor = Rush fan?

Can't believe I just saw this, realized I already knew how to do it, and just didn't think of it! I love this place. Goodbye, crappy masking tape level markers, hello new hotness.

Sending a couple bottles to some friends, figured I'd mark them up so they don't forget who the beer is from!

_MG_2275.jpg

_MG_2277.jpg

bottle was still damp in the last photo, it did come out fairly even. Had the etching paste left over from our wedding, we etched a bunch of glasses for that.

What would work even better than masking tape or wax is a liquid mask designed for painting models/rc shells. "Bob Daveli's" works awesome. Paint it on in 3 or so medium thick layers, drying in between. Then trace your design with a hobby knife and peel off. Easy to get more intricate designs / extremely crisp lines.

Basic video instructions here for the liquid mask.
Squirrelod's Channel - YouTube

After Etching try, "Rub 'n Buff" to make your Glass Etchings stand out from the glass. Apply it to the etched portions of your glass then rub it off with a paper towel. It adheres to the etched part of the glass and wipes away easily from the un-etched sections of the glass. The Silver color looks very much like the actual Etch on the Glass...Only Much Brighter.

http://www.amazon.com/AMACO-Metallic-Finish-Silver-0-05-Fluid/dp/B00081G2HG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1354779474&sr=8-3&keywords=rub+n+buff

images

PS. Looks like its available at Hobby Lobby and Micheals

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... This is awesome! I'll definitely be etching my carboys when I get the chance!

After Etching try, "Rub 'n Buff" to make your Glass Etchings stand out from the glass. Apply it to the etched portions of your glass then rub it off with a paper towel. It adheres to the etched part of the glass and wipes away easily from the un-etched sections of the glass. The Silver color looks very much like the actual Etch on the Glass...Only Much Brighter.

http://www.amazon.com/AMACO-Metallic-Finish-Silver-0-05-Fluid/dp/B00081G2HG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1354779474&sr=8-3&keywords=rub+n+buff

images

PS. Looks like its available at Hobby Lobby and Micheals

Anyone try this yet, before/after picture?

God Da**ed OUTSTANDING GUMP! that's the quickest idea the platoon has ever heard!

you'll go far in this man's brew army:)

and the beer bottle idea is great too.

now i know why i like mixing wit youse guys.......:tank:

G:mug:D

I've got a picture with and without Rub N' Buff on a growler. I plan on trying it on a carboy soon.

Man would I love to see a tutorial on how you did those growlers!! They look awesome!! How did you achieve so much detail. The lettering in the bottom rocker looks nice and sharp.

That Rub n' Buff stuff doesn't look like it drys or hardens, or more of a wax or buffing compound. Does it rub off if you touch it or leave any residue? A lot of reviews state to use a water-based clear coat if you use it on anything you'll be touching.

I'm also interested in how you etched all that detail into your growler, and don't say xacto knife :mug:

I would venture a guess that a reasonably coarse (110) Silk Screen would work - burn your image and wash out the emulsion, then tape firmly to the growler and etch ???
a bit of an investment, but you could use it many times...

screen frame at amazon

This shows how I etched gallon/half gallon marks on my carboy using glass acid etch.
This is what you need:
1. Carboy
2. Masking tape 1/2" and 1" (or whatever you want, I already had these)
3. Armor Etch Glass etching (got it from Roberts Craft)
4. Flux brush
5. Scrapbooking letter set.
carb1.jpg

Add a half gallon of water at a time, and mark it with the masking tape. I just centered the 1/2" tape over the water line. Then add your numbers from the stencil set. Then dump out the water.
carb2.jpg

Add the etching cream with the flux brush and let sit for about 10 minutes.
carb3.jpg

Wash off the acid with tap water and remove the masking tape.
carb4.jpg

And that's it
I got a little bleed through with the acid, but my masking tape is pretty old.
Would you mind re-posting images? They're no longer showing..

Just did my first carboy. I have access to a Laser engraver so it does not take to long to finish. Took longer to fill the carboy and mark it with a sharpie then to use the laser.
Laser Engraver Carboy.jpg

The 6 gal mark was the tough one, laser head just touched the corner of the carboy as it moved. 3gal mark is wet so it does not show up too well in the pic.

Back