Harvesting yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
Was thinking about harvesting yeast from each baTch I do and storing it, just wondering how long can I keep it for before I can no longer use it?

A week or two - when it starts turning brown then it is no good

If you sterilize your containers appropriately, and wash the yeast well to remove most or all of the trub, you can keep the yeast a long time. I have done it with yeast about a year old with good results.

Right now, in my yeast fridge, I have about 6-7 different strains that I've washed and will use within the next 6 months or so. I've never tried to use a jar that is more than a year old, though, so I don't really know how long it will actually last.

If you sterilize your containers appropriately, and wash the yeast well to remove most or all of the trub, you can keep the yeast a long time. I have done it with yeast about a year old with good results.

Right now, in my yeast fridge, I have about 6-7 different strains that I've washed and will use within the next 6 months or so. I've never tried to use a jar that is more than a year old, though, so I don't really know how long it will actually last.

I have 4 pint mason jars in the kegerator, and was wondering abt temperature - I am now abt 38 deg .. is that ok for the yeast ?

Back