Chinese conicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Styles

Reaction score
So, I've found a source in China for conical fermenters, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience. There's not much around here in NZ, and I'm kinda interested in importing and hopefully selling a few. Not as an on-going business (I don't think there'd be enough on-going demand in a nation of 4million) but just sell enough to defray my expenses. Just wondering if anone has any experiences with Chinese produced gear?

I think that MJC was looking into something like this. Not sure what their consensus was though...

But always remember - You might not always get what you pay for, but you ALWAYS pay for what you get.
-Me

I corresponded with one of the companies from China about conicals.
Here's what they quoted me a while ago...

5units 7gallon and 5units by 14.5gallon by sea:
CIF price(Included insurance, freight, DDC,BAF,AMS):
5units 7gallon: $365
5units 14.5gallon: $465
10units total cost: USD $4,150
(Ship will be need 30 days from China to USA)

Not much room for profit, all I wanted to do was offset my conical to be paid for. So, I didn't see much point in going forward with this. I didn't post this to discourage you but to give you a head start. Maybe those prices in your country can still get you your free conical. Good Luck!

-OCD

I think there's a thread on probrewer about some Chinese stainless tanks rusting. Something to consider.

Never had any luck with anything from China. There steel is subpar and our company has had tons of problems with it. We didn't purchase it, it came to us from the customer. I say No to it.

Quality control in China leaves a lot to be desired...

No. Companies that buy from china generally have one specification: Make it as cheap as possible. They don't care what they get as long as its cheap. Thats not an issue of quality control in the manufacture, that's an issue of product specification.

There are plenty of good products coming out of china; they're just not much cheaper than the good stuff coming out of other countries.

Cheers for all of the feedback, as it turns out, there's a guy who makes them locally that are quite well regarded, and they're going to figure out cheaper than the Chinese ones too, as is frequently the case when you live at the bottom of the world.

Synovia, you're right on, I've seen it here too. Where I used to work we sourced some stuff from China, and it all just depends on what you specify, and how picky you are about keeping them to spec.

I would stay away from any piece of Chinese equipment that is going to come in prolonged contact with my beer. The stainless steel is really not my concern its more the welds. Who knows what they are using for the welds or for flux. It seems that everything they make contains some sort of toxin. I would definitely not buy from China direct since if it does turn out to become a health issue you will be SOL getting help or a refund.

I would stay away from any piece of Chinese equipment that is going to come in prolonged contact with my beer. The stainless steel is really not my concern its more the welds. Who knows what they are using for the welds or for flux. It seems that everything they make contains some sort of toxin. I would definitely not buy from China direct since if it does turn out to become a health issue you will be SOL getting help or a refund.

Thats a little over the top. I wonder how many products you use that were made in China without realizing it and here you are, living to tell about it.

Some China-made stuff is shyte, and some China-made stuff is good. Some MADE-IN-THE-USA stuff is shyte, and some USA-made stuff is good.

To condemn an entire country, full of thousands of different companies run by different people with different concerns is silly.

I think everyone is reading more into what I said then I actually said. I only said that I will not used anything that comes into direct prolonged contact with my beer from China. I never said boycott China or that I don’t own or use anything made in China. In my home I don’t use eating utensils that are made in China nor do I allow my young children to have toys that they can put in their mouth that were made in China. But do I fear their bikes outside that was made in China or my stereo that was made in China? no.

I believe that you get what you pay for and I love my beer and want it to be the best that I can brew. So why take a chance on one of the most important pieces of your setup? But hey if it works for you then go with it.:mug:

China = Crap I see it everyday in my business. I would and do pay more money on a product if I know it's made in the states.

RE: some initial feedback from two H.B. Clubs that are testing our fermenters and pots; (still in testing)

Conical:
Welds: are laser welded....awesome
S/S: 304
Fit & Finish: beautiful

Brew Pot:
Overbuilt, possibly too heavy duty,
S/S: perfect
Fit and finish: perfect

Will post full end of test survey results when all testing completed.

No I am not. I go out of my way not to use any of that junk for my personal buying.

Let me put it this way. I am not make of money. I work hard for a living. I can't afford to pay double for a Blichmann fermenter because it is made in the US. As much as I would love to be able to pay twice as much for a fermenter made in the US, the reality is I simply can't afford to. If you can, I am happy for you. But don't put down those of us that can't afford to.

Let me put it this way. I am not make of money. I work hard for a living. I can't afford to pay double for a Blichmann fermenter because it is made in the US. As much as I would love to be able to pay twice as much for a fermenter made in the US, the reality is I simply can't afford to. If you can, I am happy for you. But don't put down those of us that can't afford to.

Listen I was not putting anyone down not sure where you got that from. I was just posting my personal opinion on China products. Buy what you can afford and call it good. Everyone has different opinions on china. I see American jobs lost everyday and factories closing all around us here in Detroit so I do my small part when I can to buy American made.

Cheers for all of the feedback, as it turns out, there's a guy who makes them locally that are quite well regarded, and they're going to figure out cheaper than the Chinese ones too, as is frequently the case when you live at the bottom of the world.

That means you folks in NZ must have to weld the cone to the top of your fermenters correct?

A Norton's waiting for me to ride in NZ once I get well i'll travel down to Oz then NZ on holiday.

I'm not sure how the guy that does them does it. I guess he just builds from scratch. I just saw the details on a local homebrew website.

Sweet about heading down, I'm sure you'll love it, we've got some pretty sweet riding roads here, as long as a local doesn't crash into you! Look feel free to drop a line when you do make it down, especially if you're heading to Auckland, I can give you some tips on some beer-related (and other) places to visit!

Back