saflager s-23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizenheimer

Reaction score
I am brewing my first lager using saflager s-23 yeast and it says ideal temp is 50ºf. Everything I have read in the past says that lagers can go into the 40º's or even 30ºs. Should I go off the yeast makers recommendation and not go below 50ºf?

You can go into the upper 40's, but I wouldn't chance lower than that. The stuff that you have read about lagers "going into the 40's or even 30's" is talking about the post-fermentation lagering (chilling/aging) period. 48-54f is a good range for most lager yeast.

Ok so if I understand what your saying I can ferment down to the upper 40's until about 80% done then bring it back to room temp for a 2 day rest. After that I can transfer it into a secondary and step the temps into the lower 40's for for a month or longer for the chilling/aging period?

I am brewing my first lager using saflager s-23 yeast and it says ideal temp is 50ºf. Everything I have read in the past says that lagers can go into the 40º's or even 30ºs. Should I go off the yeast makers recommendation and not go below 50ºf?

50F in my experience is just about right for S-23. I've tried mid 40s and the S-23 seems to stall out if you go that cool. Now the W34/70 can go down to the mid 40s if you want.

YMMV

Back