Problem with my fryer's burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddy

Reaction score
I bought a turkey fryer off Craigslist this weekend. I want to use it for frying turkeys, chickens, boiling sweet corn, etc but I also want to use the burner for brewing. Obviously I'm going to use the pot that came with it for cooking.

My brew pot is a really nice 9.5 gallon stainless steel pot that I just bought and have only used once in fact. The problem is, the brew pot won't fit on the burner. The burner has this ring around it that the pot that came with it sits in and my brew pot is too wide to fit.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you overcome it? I was thinking of buying a grill grate (like from a Weber) and sitting it on top of the burner's ring and putting my brew pot on top of that. I'm worried that this won't work since that will make the pot about an inch and a half or two inches above where it's supposed to be and it will have a hard time heating and be inefficient in its use of gas since it'll have to be cranked.

Opinions?

No, it doesn't. The ring and the pot are actually the same exact diameter. I forgot to mention that... the pot also curves in a little on the bottom and will get stick in the ring. The ring is slightly out of round so the pot will wobble on it, which could be very dangerous when full of 7 or so gallons of boiling wort.

Even something as simple as the grate from an old BBQ grill would work fine.

Yep!! goto Lowes or Home Depot and look in their BBQ section. Then look for the round replacement Webber grates. You can either use the coals grate or the cooking grates.

Yep!! goto Lowes or Home Depot and look in their BBQ section. Then look for the round replacement Webber grates. You can either use the coals grate or the cooking grates.

Well this was my first thought too... but I was worried because that would put the bottom of my pot about 2" above where it's supposed to sit. I was worried this would make it take forever to boil because of the distance from the flame, and also use too much gas since I'd have to have it cranking to get it up to boiling....

Well this was my first thought too... but I was worried because that would put the bottom of my pot about 2" above where it's supposed to sit. I was worried this would make it take forever to boil because of the distance from the flame, and also use too much gas since I'd have to have it cranking to get it up to boiling....

Ahhh so by design, the pot is susposed to sit inside the ring??? Do you know the BTU rating of the burner??

how are you with a grinder?
really, i have a metal ringed burner, and a pot that fits perfect, but i would not hesitate to cut that beyotch off.

and like bobby said, put a grate over it if your not handy with tools, or do not have them.
2" is NOT going to make a difference.
you will crank that sucker to get it rolling, and turn it way down after it does just like everyone else has to.

how much was the fryer of CL any way???

i was looking, but nobody in my neck of the woods want to give up deep fryin' (buncha fat asses!!!)

You got it Stile. According to the box, this burner it 110,000 BTU's.

Nosmatt, If I had the tools, I'd cut it off, flip it upside down (it's my opinion that the ring adds strength so I wouldn't want to lose it completely) and weld it back. Unfortunately, I don't have the tools and don't know anyone that does.

I guess I'll give the grate idea a try. For the record, I paid $25 for a Sunbeam "Southern Cooker" fryer, still in the box, brand new.

shwing!

that's a steal.

your location is not listed (booo!)
if your local, i have grinders, and a welder, and damnit, I know how to use them!

anyone else need help, and your local, lemme know!

All right, good to know! I'll have to swing by Lowes when I make it to town this week for a grill top.

My location should be listed, weird...

I'm in southern Ohio, bummer.... I could always use a friend with dangerous tools!

well, ohio is not close to cental cail

not sure why your location does not post.
go to user cp and fixit.

anyway, i have a 220 mig welder. it will weld 12 ga no problem.
i have had too mant HMBRW thus far to be helpfull.

i digress from here.

this post took 5 mins.

I was thinking of buying a grill grate (like from a Weber) and sitting it on top of the burner's ring and putting my brew pot on top of that.

That's what I did (from a neighbors trash); the keggle sits on top of the grill just fine.

try using a grinder to lobe out 4 holes in the top of the ring, approx 5/8ths of an in and use #5 re-bar to create a grate that sits even with the top of the burner ring. this will allow you to continue using the burner for its intended use with its intended equipment nd also allow the use of your kettle. keeping the top of the grate the same level will greatly reduce air from blowing across the flame and creating a drafting affect that will give you a hot spot.
hope it helps
anthony

Back