12.99!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakinA

Reaction score
So I am home for the holidays at my parents house, and I went to my LHBS to get some new brewing supplies so I could bring the joy of brewing to my father, and guess how much a fermenting bucket cost!?!?! I guess not a super hard question since I titled the thread 12.99, but the bucket was freaking 12.99 and 2.99 for the lid! Is that not crazy.

ps: of course I bought it, I had to brew, and Im now druck.

12.99 for a bucket... how many gallons we talking here, im guessing 5 gallons... maybe 6... perhapes 7... 12.99 seems extreamly high too me... i also live in michigan and get food grade, chemfree 5 gallon buckets at a resturant supply store for about half that price... and the lid is included... well i used to do that... now i use plactic food grade water dispenser jugs which are chemfree says so on the lable... For long term bulk ageing (which is a relitivly new thing for me) i have a brand new beautiful 7 gallon carboy... well not yet but in the morning its my new baby... oh i cant wait

Cheers, and merry chirstmas

You get to use the bucket 1 million times, the price difference between 10 and 15 is almost negligible. Better bottles are 20 something carboys 30 something. Plastic bucket is still much cheaper than your alternatives. If you get a 25 dollar extract kit instead of a 40 dollar one next brew day you will "pay" for the bucket.

Yeah its a 6.5 galloner, My normal LHBS charges like 7.99 and 1.99 for lid and bucket. They do have a sale on 5 gallons ported BB with racking unit for 25, so when I get back into town ill be getting more of those. I have like 5 or 6 of these buckets up north, but I just wanted one to brew while im here.

seems to me I paid over 15 for my buckets (the 7.9g ones) and that didn't include the lid so 12.99 seems like a good price to me... Ichi-go is right though, divvy up the price over a lot of batches, you won't notice too much.

Closest LHBS to me is $14.95 w/lid for 6.5 gallon bucket. Does that help explain why I've started using Homer buckets for my 3 gallons batches?

Closest LHBS to me is $14.95 w/lid for 6.5 gallon bucket. Does that help explain why I've started using Homer buckets for my 3 gallons batches?

As in like the home depot homer buckets??? I didnt think that was wise because those buckets are not food grade or chemfree plastic... or so i was told when i asked an employee... so you might want to check that... unless its not homedepot homer buckets... I heard youu buy could use a 8 gallon fishing bucket which you can buy at walkmart, they are supposed to be chemfree and food grade... i dont know why but i was hopeing to see if it was true because i wanted a larger fermeter then 5 gallons... then i saw a ten gallon plastic carboy at walmart the other day (Chemfree and food grade over by the water filling station) for 16$ and also i peeked at one of my presents under the tree at my parents place, Its a 7 gallon glass carboy... between that and one of those ten gallon carboys from walmart... i will be golden for everything i need to hit 90 gallons this next year... now all i need is enough bottles... i wish i would rain bottles padded so they wouldnt break...

Cheers

They are food grade. They are also #2 ...so they should be fine. If I sprout 2 heads I'll be sure to post it though!

I have heard of many folks using the homer buckets with lids as fermenters. I don't see a problem with them other than needing two for 5-6 gallons.

I was at the ice cream shop the other day and saw a lot of food grade 5 gallon pails with lids behind the counter... Sometime when they aren't busy I'm going to inquire if I can get a few of them they are planning to recycle. I use B/B or 7 gallon pails for beer but I would like to have some 5 gallon buckets for batches of wine (2 for a full batch or 1 for a half batch).

If you want free food grade white buckets, just head to Sams Club or Walmart and go to the bakery section late in the morning and they will have loads of 5 gallon frosting buckets ready to throw away, lids too.

If you want free food grade white buckets, just head to Sams Club or Walmart and go to the bakery section late in the morning and they will have loads of 5 gallon frosting buckets ready to throw away, lids too.

+1 to this, and they are good tight fitting lids to boot. I've got several of these and they're great.

You get to use the bucket 1 million times, the price difference between 10 and 15 is almost negligible. Better bottles are 20 something carboys 30 something. Plastic bucket is still much cheaper than your alternatives. If you get a 25 dollar extract kit instead of a 40 dollar one next brew day you will "pay" for the bucket.

I wouldnt say a million times... it gets a scratch, it is done... Id invest in carboys, they are lifetime investments.

I wouldnt say a million times... it gets a scratch, it is done... Id invest in carboys, they are lifetime investments.

Unless you bump them too hard :D Both will last for a very long time if properly taken care of.

Back