Boiled cider added to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumbo82

Reaction score
I've done a search and somehow haven't been able to find a related thread (it seems like there should be one...).

I bought an apple grinder/press the other day and made a few gallons of cider. I was originally going to make a hard cider, but due to some questionable sanitation practices I decided I'd boil the cider down instead. We had drank one gallon of it beforehand (damn good stuff), so I boiled the remaining two gallons down to approximately 3 pints.

My idea was to make a pale ale and add this cider concentrate near the end of the boil to boast the O.G. and give the beer a hint of apple flavor. I can't imagine nobody has tried this before, so I'm looking for some feedback on whether this is a good or bad idea. My gut says to just go for it, but if the general consensus is that its a waste of cider than I'll use the concentrate in cooking recipes instead. Thanks.

P.S. I picked the apples from a variety of trees my parents planted 15 years ago. They neglected to keep track of which type of apples they bought, so I have no way of knowing the apple varieties in my cider.

Well, I went ahead and did it last weekend. I added the apple cider concentrate during the last 15 minutes of the boil. The original grain bill was for a wheat beer, so half of the batch (5 gallon carboy) I used Safbrew WB-06 dry yeast and the other half I used Windsor dry yeast. The concentrate was strong stuff, it boosted my O.G. to 1.058. I was glad I used blow off tubes because for the first few days both batches were really moving and the room temp was only in the low 60s. I'll let you all know next month how my "cider wheat" experiment is turning out. I'm still welcoming any feedback as to what I should expect.

Well, I went ahead and did it last weekend. I added the apple cider concentrate during the last 15 minutes of the boil. The original grain bill was for a wheat beer, so half of the batch (5 gallon carboy) I used Safbrew WB-06 dry yeast and the other half I used Windsor dry yeast. The concentrate was strong stuff, it boosted my O.G. to 1.058. I was glad I used blow off tubes because for the first few days both batches were really moving and the room temp was only in the low 60s. I'll let you all know next month how my "cider wheat" experiment is turning out. I'm still welcoming any feedback as to what I should expect.

I would think that you're making something quite wonderful. What a perfect autumn beer! If it comes out well, can we arrange a beer swap? I would love to try some.

Thanks for your optimism, Seawolf! If it comes out well, I'd definitely be down for a swap. I'll keep you posted.

I tried my first bottle a few days ago and its very good. Its 6.0% abv and has a hint of apple flavor. I wouldn't hesitate to make another batch, but if I did I think I'd try to shoot for a 5.0% abv to hopefully make the apple flavor stand out a little more.

Nice experiment! On your next batch, if you want more apple flavor, I'd add the concentrate in the secondary. Putting it in the primary results in most of it being fermented out and you lose the apple flavor. In the secondary, it will ferment some but not nearly as much as in primary as there is substantially less yeast in the secondary. This will result in more apple flavor sticking around.

Glad ot works out for you.

I really like the sound of this. This just gave me the idea to try blending some of my cider(hard) with maybe a pale ale or dunkel. Might make for an interesting experience.

Nice experiment! On your next batch, if you want more apple flavor, I'd add the concentrate in the secondary. Putting it in the primary results in most of it being fermented out and you lose the apple flavor. In the secondary, it will ferment some but not nearly as much as in primary as there is substantially less yeast in the secondary. This will result in more apple flavor sticking around.

I just don't agree with that. Even if you cold crashed on your way to the secondary, you should wind up with just as much fermentation in the secondary as the primary. If you don't, then something is wrong with your yeast, or you've already pushed it to its limits. And, then, you would have to worry about bottle bombs later on.

And, OP, that sounds like a great bevvy!

TL

I just don't agree with that. Even if you cold crashed on your way to the secondary, you should wind up with just as much fermentation in the secondary as the primary. If you don't, then something is wrong with your yeast, or you've already pushed it to its limits. And, then, you would have to worry about bottle bombs later on.

And, OP, that sounds like a great bevvy!

TL

I agree. What you are essentially talking about is not fully fermenting the apple juice. It should ferment out completely no matter when you add it. If you add it in a secondary, you will be doing true secondary fermentation. Just like in cider, you probably won't end up with too much apple flavor, since most of the sugars will get converted.

BTW Jumbo, what type of beer did you add this to?

Been looking at doing something like this, closest I got was adding 2# of malt extract to a cider (which actually gave it a bit more mouthfeel, it was the best cider I've ever made). Let us know how it turns out!

Might be interesting to add some concentrates at KO, could help cool it down quite a bit!

Been looking at doing something like this, closest I got was adding 2# of malt extract to a cider (which actually gave it a bit more mouthfeel, it was the best cider I've ever made). Let us know how it turns out!

Might be interesting to add some concentrates at KO, could help cool it down quite a bit!

Did you use Ed Wort's recipe and substitute the 2# of malt extract instead of corn sugar?

Did you use Ed Wort's recipe and substitute the 2# of malt extract instead of corn sugar?

I wasn't on these forums yet :) It was quite similar, I really just randomly threw something together but it came out really good. Off the top of my head:

5 gallons of cheap-ass apple juice
1 can raspberry/white grape 100% juice concentrate
1 can blueberry/white grape 100% juice concentrate
2 can apple juice 100% juice concentrate
2# light LME

White labs Witbier yeast cake from a witbier I had brewed 2 weeks earlier.

It came in at around 8%ish abv and was not hot at all, it was sweet with a touch of tartness and some mild spice notes

I wasn't on these forums yet :) It was quite similar, I really just randomly threw something together but it came out really good. Off the top of my head:

5 gallons of cheap-ass apple juice
1 can raspberry/white grape 100% juice concentrate
1 can blueberry/white grape 100% juice concentrate
2 can apple juice 100% juice concentrate
2# light LME

White labs Witbier yeast cake from a witbier I had brewed 2 weeks earlier.

It came in at around 8%ish abv and was not hot at all, it was sweet with a touch of tartness and some mild spice notes

Did you boil the LME or just mix it all together and throwo n the yeast? I have been thinking of making a cider for X-mas, but Ed's apfelwine turned out really dry for my tastes, still good just really dry. I really want something sweet that maybe the Ladies could warm up and add a cinnamon stick to.

Did you boil the LME or just mix it all together and throwo n the yeast? I have been thinking of making a cider for X-mas, but Ed's apfelwine turned out really dry for my tastes, still good just really dry. I really want something sweet that maybe the Ladies could warm up and add a cinnamon stick to.

I boiled it in some apple juice, cooled then added to the carboy. It would call it semi-sweet. People that like sweet ciders like it and beer drinkers that don't like cider liked it. I think it may be important to use a weaker beer yeast like the strain I used (I used the limited addition witbier yeast, but I'm sure the year-round one would work fine too, I would suggest just pitching all this crap on top of whatever beer yeast cake you have lying around)

A word on spices: go VERY easy on them! I put 4 cloves, not ounces, 4 of them in a cider and the clove flavor was VERY noticeable! I have put 4 sticks of cinnamon in the last 5 min of a 10 gallon batch (of beer) with very, very faint almost non-detectable cinnamon notes, YMMV.

Back