Partial Mash help this evening please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsernst

Reaction score
Before everyone points out my inefficiencies as well as my methods with doing this, please hear me out. I am trying a new partial mash with my new modded 5 gallon mash tun. I only have this and a grain bag. I am not worried about efficiencies right now, just the practice of trying a mash. My beer i am going after is similar to the Jalapeno Smoke Screen by Ballast Point (SWMBO really wants it).

So my ingredients are:

2# Peated Malt
1# Crystal 10L
2# Pale Malt
a heap of Golden Light DME
WL San Diego Super Yeast starter
1oz Fuggle for 60
1oz Northern Brewer for 5

So for grains specifically, I was going to mash 5 pounds at 143 for one hour and then again at 153 for 30-45 minutes, add DME after a boil, fuggles at 60, more dme, then NB at 5.

Just for a basic mash, will this work? If not, please bear with me and help me get the basic mash that I can do to get this to work. I only have a 5 gallon brew pot as well, so this isn't a full boil as well.

Wanted to get started soon, so a few beers down the gullet and Ill stop back by.

Ill send anyone who can help with this a freebie (within reason) :)

Thanks and Go Ravens,

Sean

I would mash at 155* for an hour. That way you would get more body and possibly better flavor from the limited grainbill. Good luck. :mug:

I would mash at 155* for an hour. That way you would get more body and possibly better flavor from the limited grainbill. Good luck. :mug:

With the ratio of .2 gallon per pound of grain, do you think then 1 gallon should be sufficient?

A good starting point is 1.25 qts. per lb of grain for the mash and 2 qts. per lb. of grain for batch sparge.

I think you are fine mashing low temp for fermentability on the grain depending on what you mean by a heap of DME. For my taste if you are shooting for a 1.075 or s OG all extract will leave you with a pretty high FG so you do want max fermentability out of your grain addition. Have fun and go Niners!

I think you are fine mashing low temp for fermentability on the grain depending on what you mean by a heap of DME. For my taste if you are shooting for a 1.075 or s OG all extract will leave you with a pretty high FG so you do want max fermentability out of your grain addition. Have fun and go Niners!

Thinking about 3-4lbs of Golden DME.

I know this is not answering your question and probably nothing can be done at this point...but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that that is a **** ton of peat smoked malt. It is very powerful stuff and I am worried about the outcome of using 2 lbs of it.

My experience with San Diego Super Yeast was so so. From what I have read here, it likes a specific narrow temperature range. I ended up pitching SO-4 on top of a stuck fermentation

eric19312 is right about mashing low, SORRY. I haven't used extract in a long time. Checked my notes, all of mine were 1.072 and finished at 1.022 using Nottingham.

I know this is not answering your question and probably nothing can be done at this point...but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that that is a **** ton of peat smoked malt. It is very powerful stuff and I am worried about the outcome of using 2 lbs of it.

It was high...mashing already. Smells smoky but not overbearing though.

It may be a miss, and I am sure I will know about 2 hours from now if it is.

Thanks for the heads up though!

My experience with San Diego Super Yeast was so so. From what I have read here, it likes a specific narrow temperature range. I ended up pitching SO-4 on top of a stuck fermentation

Only reason i chose this was because it cleans up so well. I wanted the biggest flavors to come from the peppers and the peated malt.

itsernst said:
It was high...mashing already. Smells smoky but not overbearing though.

It may be a miss, and I am sure I will know about 2 hours from now if it is.

Thanks for the heads up though!

It's not so much the smoke, but the particular aroma/flavor of peat smoked malt - can be rather "medicinal". Nothing wrong with using 2 lbs (or more) of non-peat-smoked malt (like weyermann rauschmalt) if you want a smoked beer. Perhaps this will be fine - I have never tried using this much peat smoked malt, so I can't really say anything from personal experience...just from everything I've read about it. Cheers :mug:

I have to agree that is a lot of peat smoked malt. Although in saying that I love the peat - especially in my single malt. Never made an overly "peaty" beer however. Interested in know how this one turns out.

I have to agree that is a lot of peat smoked malt. Although in saying that I love the peat - especially in my single malt. Never made an overly "peaty" beer however. Interested in know how this one turns out.

I have a Talisker 10 year single malt sitting a few feet away from my kitchen so I will make sure to test both and see :)

Color of mash came out light and smells awful peaty. We will see!

photo.jpg

As for color there was nothing in your recipe that added much color right?

That is correct. In addition, after adding 4# of Golden DME at around 15 minutes, the peat smell has almost gone away completely.

OG was about 1.056

Looking forward to an update once this is kegged/bottled. Want to try my hand at a smoked jalapeno beer.

Wow - looks great - nice and clear. Looking forward to hearing your tasting notes on this one.

Here is a quick review on it along with an attached picture.

Its been carbing at 12 PSI for about 5 days now and looks like it is still clearing up a bit. The nose on this almost punches you in the face. Great balance of pepper and smoke, but very pronounced. Color is extremely light and does have a good bit of body to it as well. Taste is heavy smoke and jalapeno comes in as an aftertaste. If I could redo this recipe, I would probably scale back the peated malt to a 1.25 to 1.5 pounds, as I dont think it needs quite as much smoke. In addition, a replacement malt that is less smoky would be sufficient as well.

All in all as a first stab at a recipe of my own creation on ingredients, it was a major success!

Cheers,

Sean

photo(2).jpg

Back