Blizzard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Well, the North-East is supposed to get slammed again. New England, and especially the states of MA and RI are looking at 2+' ouch. We here in NYC are looking at more like 2-4 inches. Thats the difference between hot cocoa and blizzard sex with your person and turning into Jack Nicholson from The Shining.

Below are a few thoughts:

1) helping your neighbor shovel can garner good-will.
2) I really hope there is an announcement on NY1. Not because I want to see or hear Bloomberg but because I need another Lydia Calis fix. When my beloved Christine Quinn is mayor (I have officially called it) I hope Lydia stays on.
3) Hey dillweed! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH 12 LOAVES OF BREAD?!
4) Every year I tell myself "no James, you arent going to go out in the cold to help push that guy out of his parking space. *Rubber spinning on ice sound* NOPE not my problem he shouldn't be driving in this anyway. *Sad wheels spinning on ice sound* Dammit I'll put some pants on"... cut me a break and stay home.
5) Don't leave animals out in the snow, unless your pet is a polar bear or a team of sled dogs.
6) Blizzards are when I drink ice cold BMC. I put the six packs or cases out on the porch directly in the snow. I have been doing this since I am 21 years old, and I dont forsee decorum or good taste stopping me now. It is up to you to forgive me or deal with it in your own way.
7) My old landlord used to shovel and had a glass and a little bottle of scotch. He used to throw a handful of snow into the glass and pour the scotch over it. I appreciate the THOUGHT of this, but it is still so wrong so many ways. Dont do it... unless you live in Montana... go ahead knock yourself out in Montana.
8) DO NOT GET IN A DOMESTIC DISTURBANCE WITH YOUR SPOUSE DURING A FREAKING BLIZZARD!... seriously... if I hear one more time that emergency vehicles werent able to get to an actual emergency because they were already dispatched to a shoving match between John Q. Pubgoer and his dumpy wife I think I am going to burst a blood vessel.
9) If you use your oven to heat your house/apartment (assuming every other heat source fails you), for the love of God, BE CAREFUL!
and finally:
10) You New Englanders must really really love New England. My hats off to you for sticking it out when only your head and shoulders stick out.

*sigh* it will pass

Screw a blizzard, was planning to finally do my first AG this weekend. I shall not be stopped, as long as I can keep the burner lit i'm goin for it, blizzard or not! All shoveling and no brewing makes Jack a dull boy.

big_9446df1b20ce4d2755a655f7e06676760e062e6a-1000x500.jpeg

Bummer man about the snow. Great list and I agree with pretty much all of it except the bottle of scotch. I just do not drink the hard stuff anymore:D

Bring it on, I don't care. I've been following this weather scientist on Facebook ever since Sandy and he's predicting at most 6" for NYC, which is nothing. My wife and I got married in a blizzard and now we might be celebrating our anniversary in one. They don't phase me, although I miss my Wrangler every time it snows. :(

2) I really hope there is an announcement on NY1. Not because I want to see or hear Bloomberg but because I need another Lydia Calis fix. When my beloved Christine Quinn is mayor (I have officially called it) I hope Lydia stays on.

I really hope you are wrong on this one, no offense. Although it is certainly a long shot, my cart is hitched to a particular former PD chief who tells me he has DeBlasio's assurances that he will be appointed commissioner if DeBlasio wins. So guess how I'm voting?

Screw a blizzard, was planning to finally do my first AG this weekend. I shall not be stopped, as long as I can keep the burner lit i'm goin for it, blizzard or not! All shoveling and no brewing makes Jack a dull boy.

big_9446df1b20ce4d2755a655f7e06676760e062e6a-1000x500.jpeg

we have this poster in our media room, along with movie posters from Blair Witch Project, Pulp Fiction, Shaun of the Dead, The Crow and Broadway posters of Jekyl & Hide, Wicked and Evil Dead: The Musical

Bring it on, I don't care. I've been following this weather scientist on Facebook ever since Sandy and he's predicting at most 6" for NYC, which is nothing. My wife and I got married in a blizzard and now we might be celebrating our anniversary in one. They don't phase me, although I miss my Wrangler every time it snows. :(

I really hope you are wrong on this one, no offense. Although it is certainly a long shot, my cart is hitched to a particular former PD chief who tells me he has DeBlasio's assurances that he will be appointed commissioner if DeBlasio wins. So guess how I'm voting?

Can we both, however, agree that a New York City where Lydia Calis is signing during mayoral speeches is a happy NYC?

She's Bloomburg's sign language translator. You can see her in all the Hurricane Sandy addresses on the left of the screen.

Our local forecast is ranging all of the way from 4 inches up to 24 inches, depending on where the rain/snow line lands. Whatever we get, it will be wet and heavy.

I'm still waiting for my next batch of malt & grains to arrive so I can't brew if we get snowed in. I've got beer in the fridge, books from the library, gas in the car, and a gas stove so we can cook even if we lose power.

Punxsutawney Phil is a pampered, useless rodent who needs to be exterminated with extreme prejudice.

We are getting maybe 3-5' today and possibly another 6" tonight. If we get that much schools might close. I might have to bust out the snow thrower for that. If I didn't have a Band Booster Carnival to prepare for I'd think about brewing a SnowStorm IPA or something, but I have to drive 20 minutes to tow home a Dunk Tank so the kids can pay the Band some $$ to dunk some teachers!

10) You New Englanders must really really love New England. My hats off to you for sticking it out when only your head and shoulders stick out.

Well, I moved from Manhattan to Boston last year (Fall 2011). Last year there was no appreciable difference in weather. This winter is just trying to prove me wrong!

But now I finally have enough storage space to be able to do all grain, so I'll take a few snow storms.

Was supposed to go down and visit family on Long Island this weekend. Think we may have to put that off until next week. Bummer.

The drama queens in the neighborhood are all noisily firing up their snowblowers and generators. My neighbor has been running his snowblower for the last 45 minutes. He already burned through his old gas, refilled, and has been running it for at least 30 minutes and is driving it around his driveway now. I'm really not sure what he's attempting to accomplish except for ensuring that he won't have enough gas to clear his driveway Saturday.

My driveway is 20' by 40' (twice as big as his) and I don't have a snowblower. I have three days to shovel and since I won't be able to drive anywhere it will give me an excuse to exercise. It will get done. Geesh.

So far 3 inches still falling heavy. Five inches more this afternoon and seven inches tonight and possible 2 inches more tomorrow morning after sunrise. My driveway is just about 550 feet and I live on a road that may not get plowed until next week, if at all. This is west Michigan, it is February, it snows, get over it.

EDIT: I will be brewing on Sunday an American Amber Ale.... just because I can!

I take the same view here. Although ultra-heavy snows aren't as common, we usually get at least one per year. On top of that we have a huge sanitation department which will be out in force even before the snow starts. It's crazy to me that every time we have a real blizzard, everyone acts like it's the first one we've ever had. Must be all of the transplants. ;)

I am a little annoyed though because my wife and I had an overnight babysitter set up and plans to celebrate our anniversary tomorrow night. On top of that, Saturday I was supposed to take my older daughter to Medieval Times. Looks like all of our plans are shot to hell now.

I take the same view here. Although ultra-heavy snows aren't as common, we usually get at least one per year. On top of that we have a huge sanitation department which will be out in force even before the snow starts. It's crazy to me that every time we have a real blizzard, everyone acts like it's the first one we've ever had. Must be all of the transplants. ;)

I am a little annoyed though because my wife and I had an overnight babysitter set up and plans to celebrate our anniversary tomorrow night. On top of that, Saturday I was supposed to take my older daughter to Medieval Times. Looks like all of our plans are shot to hell now.

Sorry about your plans, man.

Can I just say, speaking of the cleanup effort, that the Sanitation Department, in my opinion, are unsung heroes. The NYPD gets shot at, the FDNY puts out fires and gets people into hospitals when they need it, but the Sanitation dept. keeps cholera, dyptheria, and all manner of other filth related health hazards to a minimum. Not to mention, I take stinky garbage out of my house 2 days a week and it magically disappears. I think, if nothing else, they should be able to put a "New York's ......est" on their trucks. NYPD is definitely New York's Finest, FDNY is definitely New York's Bravest... Sanitation department needs an est.

Can I just say, speaking of the cleanup effort, that the Sanitation Department, in my opinion, are unsung heroes. The NYPD gets shot at, the FDNY puts out fires and gets people into hospitals when they need it, but the Sanitation dept. keeps cholera, dyptheria, and all manner of other filth related health hazards to a minimum. Not to mention, I take stinky garbage out of my house 2 days a week and it magically disappears. I think, if nothing else, they should be able to put a "New York's ......est" on their trucks. NYPD is definitely New York's Finest, FDNY is definitely New York's Bravest... Sanitation department needs an est.

NY's Cleanest

Don't forget the 4 dozen eggs and 6 gallons of milk too!

TP! grab all the TP YOU CAN CARRY!

Didn't even realize the NE was getting a blizzard until my mom texted me asking me if I had bought a shovel. No, I don't own a f'in snow shovel; I live in North Carolina. My mom lives in MA so they're expecting some heavy stuff. If it snows here we stay in the house until it melts the next day. The NCDOT puts down "brine" on the roads if there is a chance of icy conditions. Not salt. Not sand. Brine. Needless to say with the icy road conditions and inexperienced winter weather NC drivers, the roads here are extremely dangerous at even the threat of freezing rain.

Good luck NE. You guys are far more tougher when it comes to the weather than us here in the South.

Agreed - I was in Staten Island and Manhattan two months ago fully expecting the place to be a disaster site. Manhattan amazes me generally - I'm an engineer and I appreciate what has to happen just for a city of that size and density to function on a normal day.

My neighbor has been running his snowblower for the last 45 minutes. He already burned through his old gas, refilled, and has been running it for at least 30 minutes and is driving it around his driveway now. I'm really not sure what he's attempting to accomplish except for ensuring that he won't have enough gas to clear his driveway Saturday.

I don't believe it... my neighbor, JUST NOW, ran out of gas AGAIN! He just took off to the gas station in his truck with his gas can. Really? Really??!?

My neighbor just came back with *more* gas for his snowblower while I was pulling beer out of my car. He nervously asked if I was ready for "The Big Storm". I waved the beer at him and said "Yep" and walked inside. I am sure he does not think that I am taking the storm seriously enough. He will be spending the storm huddled in his basement bunker with a storm radio and a can opener, I'm sure.

Arrrggghhh! It's Massachusetts! It's February! F***ing get a grip already! Snow - yeah, I get it. Pretty frozen water crystals! It falls, you move it to the side, it melts in the spring. Power might go out, or might not. Wear a friggin' sweater! Grow some friggin' testicles and man up. This is NOT the end of the world!

Sorry guys, had to get that out of my system. Carry on. :mug:

Back