Hurricane Sandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow is also pushing from the West and another storm is converging from the North.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I'm in Central Va, looks like were' just gonna get rained on alot.....Perfect days for staying in and bottling.........

Yep, looks like the eye is predicted to come literally over my house. Which almost guarantees it won't, sorry weather man, your a loser usually. But, just got back form the gas station. Got a little less than 20 gallons in cans and the generator is full. Sucked spending that much change on gas (I use premium in anything with a carberator...damn ethanol crap ), but it's not like I won't use it if I don't use it for the generator.

How bad is a cat 1 for the right coast? On the south coast, it was little more than a reason to leave work early and have a party. Maybe some power outages and the most flood prone areas would get their feet wet, but for the most part, cat 1 was nothing.

How bad is a cat 1 for the right coast? On the south coast, it was little more than a reason to leave work early and have a party. Maybe some power outages and the most flood prone areas would get their feet wet, but for the most part, cat 1 was nothing.

How bad is a 1-2 inch snowstorm for the south coast? On the right coast, it's just another Winter day. We go about our normal business, drive over the speed limit, and pay no mind to the snow. Maybe some people would skid out and cause the occassional fender bender. But for the most part, it's nothing.

How bad is a 1-2 inch snowstorm for the south coast? On the right coast, it's just another Winter day. We go about our normal business, drive over the speed limit, and pay no mind to the snow. Maybe some people would skid out and cause the occassional fender bender. But for the most part, it's nothing.

In 2005, we got some snow. It was days before all of I-310 was re-opened because it had some snow and ice patches on it.

Looks like hurricanes are a little more common on the right coast though than snow storms are on the south coast.

de h.jpg

It looks like Eastern NC will just be getting rain, my best wishes for those of you north of me.

Re-post from another conversation.

Here's what we used to do.

Bottle tap water in used clean milk jugs and two liter soft drink bottles. Any bottle, really. Fill up the bath tub. This water will be used for personal hygiene, household clean up and flushing the commode. We used the tub water to pour into the commode bowl to make it flush.

Anything you need to machine wash, wash it now.

Freeze all the food that need to be kept cold that you can. Make or buy as much ice as you can. Pack it into the freezer and refrigerator. Keep the doors closed as much as possible. It will buy you a little more time on food. Fill up any coolers you have with ice too.

Once the storm passes, cook the most perishable food items first.

If it's in the yard and you can lift it, so can a hurricane. Secure it best you can. The less missiles the better. "It's not that the wind is blowing. It's what the wind is blowing." Ron White.

Get all the sandbags you can. Stack them along the door ways. See image. Note pattern. It helps keep water out.

Buy or charge batteries for all the flashlights and radios you have.

Charge your phone.

Buy all the gas you can store. At least fill the vehicles.

Board up your windows with whatever you can. I lived in two houses that had plywood already cut and a means to attach it built into the house. This was homemade stuff held on with screen door and cross bar type latches. But even some heavy cardboard and duct tape may save a window and keep the rain out.

Be prepared to place pots and buckets under roof leaks. Have towels ready. It's nice to already have some tarp and rope handy.

Once it looks like power loss is imminent, shut off sensitive electronics.

Don't park under trees or power lines. We would pull our vehicles as high into the yard as we could. Some people would park on the neutral ground if it was higher than their driveway.

Get your beer now!

sandbags.gif

The big problem will be snow on deciduous trees with leaves still on. Last year we had trees down all over the place when it happened. No electricity for a week. Glad I brew with propane :)

Several years ago when a large storm came in it caused havoc. Our infrastructure is not designed for the high winds. Especially our electrical grid. Most of my area was without power for 3-4 days. So, the emergency is just getting the basic supplies to wait out the power loss. No panic....A foot of snow isn't a reason to panic around here either. It's just being prepared.,

I hope I don't lose power, just put a CDA into the fermenting chamber.
This is what's playing in my head. Had planned to brew tomorrow, but not so sure anymore. They're calling for 10" of rain, and if past experience is any indication, my power will go out. The brewday isn't a problem, but temperature control has me worried.

The trouble is that my pipeline is in bad shape and holidays are coming fast.

What to do? What to do?

Looks like hurricanes are a little more common on the right coast though than snow storms are on the south coast.

Not really since I'm not talking about a blizzard or actual "snow storm". A simple 1-2 inches of dusting and the south coast panics. The worse thing that happens is a car or two skids out of control because you don't know how to drive in it. So it's really more ludacrous if you think about it vs. a serious multi-storm system like this one which causes flooding, harsh winds, debris, power outtages, etc. in about 13 states.

Back