Questions about my first beer fermenting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRoboto

Reaction score
So I brewed my first batch yesterday and everything went smooth I had the right OG and I pitched my yeast starter about 30 hours ago and I have nice krausen forming and airlock is bubbling.

I have been having problems keeping the temp stable because its so warm in the day here and cools way down at night due to season changes. I tried the swamp cooler thing but the ice was too cold at night and not enough during the day. So I bought a refrigerator for $45 on craigslist today and hooked up a Johnson A419 to it and I will have good control of it now.

1. During the last 30 hours I have had big temp swings with my beer from 64F to 78F is this going to make my beer taste bad?

2. Also when moving my carboy from inside the house to my new fridge in the garage it was shaken due to carrying it. Is this going to oxidize my beer and make it taste bad?

The short version of the story is, "only time will tell".

I will address your second question first, since it is easiest. If your beer was in the primary, with an air lock, the answer is "no", you will not have an oxidation issue in your beer. This is because your beer fermenting has likely forced any O2 in the head space out of the airlock before you moved it. If you have not introduced any oxygen to the fermenter you are in the clear.

However, big temp swings do stress the yeast. This might lead to a slight off taste in your beer. But fear not, I doubt your beer will be so bad that it won't be drinkable. In fact, I am going to predict that your beer will turn out damn tasty. I would just relax, have a beer, and chalk it up to a learning experience.

The important thing is that you have a sweet new fermenting fridge and temp-controller! Congratz!

Unless you really shook your fermenter you should be fine.i move mine every now and then. Just be cautious of splashing. 78 is a bit high fir ambient temp. fermentation can raise that ten even higher causing off flavors. Try to keep that temp around 65.

Thx I didnt even remember the airlock and co2 thing. Thats a good point. Temps are stable and controlled now but does anyone have any experience with temp fluctuations over a short period of time then stable temps??? I keep telling myself it was only for a day and that might not have a huge impact..

MrRoboto said:
Thx I didnt even remember the airlock and co2 thing. Thats a good point. Temps are stable and controlled now but does anyone have any experience with temp fluctuations over a short period of time then stable temps??? I keep telling myself it was only for a day and that might not have a huge impact..

I've had up and down temps and corrected within the day. You should be fine. it's amazing what a little time will do either in fermenter or bottle.

Thx I knew this was probably going to end up with you will be okay lol.. Ive read a lot of posts here and thats usually how they end up. Ive just put so much research and money into this because I bought really good equipment instead of a basic starter kit. I cant wait to taste my first home made beer! Thx again :mug:

Thx I knew this was probably going to end up with you will be okay lol.. Ive read a lot of posts here and thats usually how they end up. Ive just put so much research and money into this because I bought really good equipment instead of a basic starter kit. I cant wait to taste my first home made beer! Thx again :mug:

The best part about homebrewing is that you get to drink your final product. For better or best, you still made beer.

Believe me, even if you thought you did everything right, there are dozens of other ways you could do it differently the next time; the beer would taste a little different and would still be considered good beer. That's why there is a million different IPA's out there, and no two taste the exact same.

The thing is to always keep learning, and don't be afraid of trying something new.

Welcome to the obsession!

Back