Sheer voile for BIAB Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I picked up a Sheer voile curtian at walmart. My question is, how should I clean this before I use it? Would boiling the curtain for a while work?

I just boiled my bag for a while when I did an initial wet-test of my setup to work out boil-off rates etc

I would wash it by either running it through with non fragrant soap (no stuff with zippers) and then boil some water, turn off the burner, add a drop or so of dish soap and let it soak and stir with something. Then rinse it out really well and let it dry.

If you are going to sew it, I would do so before cleaning it, as it may be easier to handle before it is washed.

I just use a flat curtain, I didnt even sew mine. I just make sure that when I put it in the pot that I clip it to the pot edges and make sure that there are no gaps or holes for the grain to fall through into the water. I only do 2.5 gallon batches so far though so it is relatively easy to manage.

I stitch the bag and leave about 0.5 inch of loose material hanging outward from the stitch. Then I fold the stitch over twice so that all the loose edges are rolled inside the seam, and run a stitch very close to the rolled edge. I then finish it up with a third stitch running down the center of the whole rolled seam.

This prevents fraying, provides tons of strength and also makes the bag very easy to clean.

I had my mom stitch me up two bags this weekend. She did a straight line down, folded the edge of excess material on the outside of the seam over, then did a zig zag (setting she has on her machine) stitching over the original straight line stitch. I put 25lbs of dumbells in it and it held like a champ.

Edit: We also made a strap that runs around the top (like the strap from a back pack) and then sewed two handles to that so it's easier to lift out and hold by.

I was thinking of running 1/2" cotton webbing under the bag at quarter points and bringing them up to form 2 loop handles. Am I overthinking this? I'm getting ready for full boils and AG in a 15 gallon pot. Want to be sure I don't end up with hot grain face :)

I was thinking of running 1/2" cotton webbing under the bag at quarter points and bringing them up to form 2 loop handles. Am I overthinking this? I'm getting ready for full boils and AG in a 15 gallon pot. Want to be sure I don't end up with hot grain face :)

Yes, IMO you are overthinking it. Cotton can degrade as well. A well stitched bag w/ the proper voile material will hold a lot of grain. Either way I would not hold the hot grain bag over your head:)

I just bought one from "wilserbrewer" problem solved. Don't own a sewing machine...

Thanks!

Back