A question for all you blenders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SethMasterFlex

Reaction score
If I am blending a gueze, is there an efficient way to age what is left of the young lambic? My concern is that it should be left on the cake as it matures for the next year or two, but siphoning some off for blending creates an undesirable amount of headspace.

I would like to have younger and older batches at the same time, effectively leading to a consistently blendable pipeline. How do you current blenders operate your blending system?

That's a good question, I'm trying to work it out too... here's what I've found so far:

Leave in the carboy and Purge headspace with Co2

Transfer into 3gal Carboy (stir-it up first if you want some yeast cake)

Add something inert and food safe to fill up the extra space (sanitized marbles or something?)

Transfer into a few smaller 1gal carboys (juice jug, etc)

RDWHAHB? ;)

I'm kinda lazy so I'll be trying option #1 first.
I'm looking forward to hearing some other ideas out there.

Why not just transfer to smaller containers?

I have a lambic I started last December that I plan on working into a solera. Next month I am taking a portion out and adding fresh wort. A gallon or so is going to go in a gallon jug to age another couple of years to produce gueuze. Next year I'll pull another gallon and then blend those two with a gallon or two of the amount pulled the third year. I have several 5L wine jugs (I use the stuff for cooking) I'll employ. You should be able to find similar containers at a LHBS or you should be able to find gallon cider/apple juice jugs at a decent grocery store.

When I finally get around to brewing a lambic I will store left over beer from blending in a corny keg that will be dedicated to taking blend left overs. I'll just have to buy the corny to do it hahah.

Back