How to store opened can of LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sneaker

Reaction score
I'm brewing from a recipe that calls for 8 lbs. of liquid malt extract. I bought 3 cans of it which comes to about 10 lbs (3 x 3.3). Can I store the extra 2 lbs. ? What's the best way? Thanks.

The best way is to use the LME right away. LME is prone to wild fermentation if left out. Canning the extra that would possibly be the best way to store it. Otherwise I would use it to make some starters.

Ed

You can float a little vodka on the top but Ed is correct, it really doesn't store well. Have you thought about upping your recipe a bit and using it?

Bag small quantities and freeze it for use in starters.

That's what I would do as well. Just save it until your are done with your primary brew. Once you have a pan/pot available, just make a "mini-batch" of just malt extract, no need for hops. Once it has cooled, put the wort in a ziplock bag or two and then freeze. You may also want to contain the first ziplock back into another just to make sure there is no spillage in the freezer.

Freezing wort is perfect for any "leftovers" you may have and will allow you to easily make starters come your next brew date, saving both time and money! :ban:

Best way to store it is as follows:

Boil 5 gallons of water
Add the 2 pounds of extract to the boiling water
Purchase and add an additional 4 to 6 pounds of DME
To help preserve the freshness of the LME, add 1 oz of hops (your choice) with the DME and LME
Boil water for about 45 minutes, add 1 more oz of hops (your choice, for freshenss of course) and boil for 15 more minutes.
quickly cool down and rack to a sanitized carboy or bucket. Wait 3 weeks and put in bottles or a keg.
Your LME will last a long time this way!

Back