fruit beer question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
this is my first fruit beer, well i have a honey wheat that i just racked over 3 lbs of figs. well, before the put the figs in, i put them in a food processor and made a thick paste out of them. well they have been in the secondary for 3 days now. all the seeds and some pulp has risen to the top of the carboy.like 3 inches of it. i am first afraid of it rotting? i kinda smelt alittle staleness coming from the airlock.... should that be a bother? also i just grabbed a little sample with my sanitized turkey baster and it taste good but really sweet after 3 days. i didn't think the figs would give off that much taste since, ya know there kinda subtle for a fruit..... sorry, my questions are: should i worry about the fig rotting? and how long do you ladies and gents usually leave ya beer on fruit? i was planning a week then racking for another week in a tertiary carboy.... thanks for anything on this! God Bless

well i dont know about how long to leave it in there,
but its not going to rot , early on fruit can make some bad smells
like sulfur and farts :) but that passes and seems to be worse in you dont have much free nitrogen.

what did 3 lbs of puree look like ?
i think this is going to need to sit for every bit of a week if not 2 just to settle and clear right..
i would think that by makeing a puree, you may get alot of pectin
which will not hurt the beer but will make it very hazy ,,,but hey it is a whear beer.

i have only made a few fruit meads and ciders . i have in the past just blanched the fruit in boiling water and then wiped the peel off with a dish rag , it take like 30 sec in the water and the peel comes right off most fruit. afterward i just cut it up and droped it in the primary it turned out good .

thanks clayton...... to answer your question, the fig wasn't in puree' form. it was more like paste. very think. so thick that i rolled it into logs to get it in the carboy.with sanatized hands of course... and your right... about the pectin. i wanted to get the most out of the figs though.... i have some pectic enzyme but i am affraid to use it.

I have not used figs before but I'm guessing there will be a good amount of sugars in them. I would let it sit on the puree for a couple weeks to ensure that the yeast does it's work on the new sugars you introduced. Also, letting it sit longer will allow the sediment to fall out.

No need to page me....Nurmey hit the nail on the head!

It'll be fun to see what you think of this beer as it progresses. I'm thinking that it will definitely improve with age...not that it's going to take years, but you're gonna have some alcohol there and you will also have a nice fruit flavor develop with the figs. Dry fruit always surprises me as to the amount of fermentables it brings to the party.

Give this a few weeks on the fruit...don't worry about what it smells like....then rack and clear. Keep us posted. I'd love to hear how this turns out.

well, thank you both gentleman.......a BiG K! yeah man this one is coming along great (knock on wood) i was just wondering about the rotting. but it's clear now..... it's a little strong... when i racked it to the secondary it was around 5.8 % abv. after about 2 hours on the fruit it started fermenting again so i'm sure it'll have a good kick. i owe alot of that to the 1/4 pound of honey in the primary...... yeah it's only 2.5 gallon brew..... hey, do you think i should put a screen over the auto syphon so i don't pick up alot of that pulp and seed??? thanks again ! God Bless

Latest posts

Back