storing beer in kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbw

Reaction score
Still working out my carbonation issues. I have been lucky to get ahead of the game and have a couple full kegs in backup.

Typically, when I keg, I force carbonate for 4 days at 20 psi. My question is, if I'm not going to drink it, do I just disconnec the CO2? Do I disconnect, purge and re-pressurize to 10psi?

I don't want it to be flat but I don't want to over carbonate.

Thanks in advance! :rockin:

You're already overcarbonating it by going to 20 psi. 12 psi is more than enough.

Once it's fully carbonated, you can disconnect the CO2 and everything will be fine.

That depends on your temp of course. If you have it in a frig then 12 psi will get it done. Four days, some people get it done but most people will wait seven. I wait for a full seven. To answer your first question, yeah purge just a little and that will lower the presure.

Actually, the 20 psi for 4 days perfectly carbonates the beer. I then purge and recharge to 10 psi for drinking. That's actually not my question. I'm all set with that stage. No real need to forced carbonate in a fridge for seven days so the 12 psi issue isn't one I need to deal with.

My question is, if I have a 2 keg system, and have a couple of backup kegs, how best to store them after the forced carbonation described above? Keep em at 20 psi, drop them to 10-12 psi or what? Sounds like Mikey is saying I should store at 10-12 psi.

Back