Can I Take My Keg on the plane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shildebr

Reaction score
Well I'm in phoenix right now and was just looking on craigslist. There seems to be much more empty 1/2 bbls and at a good price than I can find in the Dallas / Fort Worth area. Does anyone know anything about airport security or airline rules......could I put my keg in my checked luggage? Can I put it in a cardboard box and check it? It only weighs about 30 lbs empty.

My first guess would be "absolutely not" but why? If anyone knows the answer I'd be eager to hear. Thanks!

I don't know all the rules, but it'd sure suck to get to the airport and find out, with no time to spare, that you have to leave your keg behind. It only costs about $30 to have it shipped via UPS or FedEx ground.

I'm not sure of the dimensions of kegs...look on any airlines web site though and they will have info on allowable items. As well as TSA's web site. They may charge you a bit, as that seems to be the new trend. As long as the keg is within their allowable range, there should not be a problem. Oh, and I'm assuming that the keg will be empty and unpressurized?

Good luck!

I would assume if it has no pressure it will be okay. Take the lid off to make your life easy, otherwise you might have to prove its not pressurized.

I would assume if it has no pressure it will be okay. Take the lid off to make your life easy, otherwise you might have to prove its not pressurized.

That's what I'm thinking, I'm gonna have to get some tools to accomplish this, but I do work for a large construction company so I should be able to find something!

Unless you're going there anyway, you're gonna spend way more on a plane ticket. You should put a want ad out on Craigslist....or check ebay under [empty kegs]....there's 1/2 bbl kegs there all the time.

At 30 lbs I suspect it's full.

Put it into a checked bag it'll be OK. I used to transport a lot of minikegs this way before the Nazi's at the airports took over (the Gestaspo were also Homeland Security).

Unfortunately, most airlines now charge for a second bag...:mad:

Unless you're going there anyway, you're gonna spend way more on a plane ticket. You should put a want ad out on Craigslist....or check ebay under [empty kegs]....there's 1/2 bbl kegs there all the time.

I'm already in phoenix, staying for a week or so, and have a rental car so I was just doing some craigslist slumming and happened to run across a couple kegs on the cheap.

I think i'll just cut the top off and get a 18x18x24 box, should fit perfect and come in under americans size and weight restrictions for checked baggage.

Back