World Beer Festival--Raleigh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
April 29th, 2006!!

Anyone planning on attending?

Seeing we have such a good conglomerate of VA/NC folk, we should plan on meeting up!

They have 2 sessions, a day and night one, if we did it, what would be best? Either way if I went I'd be stayin overnight, so I'm game for any of it.....

World Beer Festival--Raleigh

I'd be interested in hitting a session. I can't check the link from work, but I'm guessing this is the one that used to be in the fall. I actually passed on it last year to go to one in Asheville which, IMO, is a much, much better festival but it wouldn't be conveniently located as this one is. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm game.

I'll tentatively say I can go. It'll all come down to the decision of the judge (aka SWMBO) as the time gets closer.

-walker

Walker said:
I'll tentatively say I can go. It'll all come down to the decision of the judge (aka SWMBO) as the time gets closer.

-walker

I guess tickets sell out extremely fast, so approach it soon. :)

My LHBS usually has a group bus ride down there, so maybe your clubs do somethign similar. Don't know if it invloves a ticket discount or anything, but might be worth checking.

Dude said:
maybe your clubs do somethign similar.

My 'club' consists of BOSTONBREWIN', King Kai, and BeeGee. Aka: "GRABASS" or "GRAB T&A".

There are two official clubs down here that I know of; TRUB and CARBOY, but I've no desire to join either of them. I think BOSTON is with me on that motion.

-walker

Walker said:

-walker

I mentioned this to the judge as I left for work today and she seemed not only OK with the idea of me going, but wants to come along, too.

Let's organize and meet up. It would be cool as hell to meet some of you guys from VA and the other guys from NC that I haven't already met.

We'll all have to bring some HB to swap, so having an idea of how many bottles to bring would be handy. (you kegger-types can just bring a whole batch. :))

Walker said:
I mentioned this to the judge as I left for work today and she seemed not only OK with the idea of me going, but wants to come along, too.

Let's organize and meet up. It would be cool as hell to meet some of you guys from VA and the other guys from NC that I haven't already met.

We'll all have to bring some HB to swap, so having an idea of how many bottles to bring would be handy. (you kegger-types can just bring a whole batch. :))

Yeah, my chaperone would prolly come along too. Walker maybe we can talk them into going shopping or something. :mug:

Definitely bringing the homebrew! By then I'll have some 06.06.06, some LWPA, some honey wheat and some honey pale ready to bottle up with the beer gun.

I'm SO there. Now I just have to switch my schedule around, which shouldn't be hard to do.

Dude said:
Yeah, my chaperone would prolly come along too. Walker maybe we can talk them into going shopping or something. :mug:

shiiiiit... my lady will be right there swillling with us. That's her whole reason for wanting to go. She loves beer.

In fact, I picked up a case of various brews from the Carolina Brewing Co when the GRABASS club went down there this past weekend, and she's already had more of them than I have! (of course, I was sick with the flu sunday and monday, but that's irrelevant.)

-walker

bumping this to the top. I'd like to know who is planning to attend this.

Is VA in the house?
What about SC?

I'm pretty sure 50% to 75% of the GRABASS crew will be on hand, and we sure would like to meet up with other HBT.com folk for some quality drinking time.

-walker

I haven't run it by SWMBO yet, but I don't see any issues at all. I'm 'all in' as they say on the riverboat. I'm not sure how it works for everybody else, but I'm going to throw out that we aim for the first session (12-4pm). From my experience at the Durham fest that session tends to be less crowded, no chance of running out of good beers, and it's less of a drunken frat party. Moore Square is a nice venue for this if the weather cooperates.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I haven't run it by SWMBO yet, but I don't see any issues at all. I'm 'all in' as they say on the riverboat. I'm not sure how it works for everybody else, but I'm going to throw out that we aim for the first session (12-4pm). From my experience at the Durham fest that session tends to be less crowded, no chance of running out of good beers, and it's less of a drunken frat party. Moore Square is a nice venue for this if the weather cooperates.

I'm game for first session too, that way if anyone wants to chill later on we can have an after-party at the hotel we are going to stay at.

Drunken cannonballs in the hotel pool are always fun!!!!!!

Just saw this thread.......

Dammit, dammit, dammit! I'm stuck here in brewing purgatory until late May.

Rat farts!!!!! :mad:

alright... I'm going to go ahead and order tickets for SWMBO and myself for the 1st session (noon to 4pm). You punks better not back out of this one.

We can trash Dude's room afterward or hit up a quality pub in the area.

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
alright... I'm going to go ahead and trash Dude's room afterward or hit up a quality pub in the area.

-walker

im about 3 hours from raleigh and im wondering if its worth the drive. Have you guys been to this festival before? im asking because ive been to the 'international beer festival' in san francisco a few years back and it was prety lame. it cost 50 bucks (i didnt actually pay though, but was still annoyed on principlal) and the beers they had were not anything really new or different. I remeber the guinnes stand ran out of beer within an hour, and the other stands were like sierra nevada, red hook, and other typical breweries. the only stand worth going to was deschuttes brewery which brought a new beer just for the occassion which was awesome!
i checked the raliegh web site and theyre not listing the breweries involved, i just dont want to drive 3 hours just to drink budweiser out of 2 ounce plastic cups...
if its worth it im game to going down there though....

No way to say until they actually list the breweries. I can assure you I would not drive 3 hours for the brewfest in Durham, however I happily drove 4 for the one in Asheville and would do so again. Won't be able to say which one the Raleigh fest will resemble at this point in time.

I just got tickets for myself and SWMBO for the afternoon session (noon to 4pm)

FYI: there is a $2 'convenience' fee charged for each ticket. I hate that crap. Hell, they aren't even mailing anything to me.... I printed the tickets out here in the office!

-walker

I'll snag mine tonight (stupid fartsmilter). Wish they would go ahead and list the brewers so we know if it's a Warsteiner/Sammy Adams/Newcastle kind of fest or if it's a Rogue/Sierra Nevada/Dogfish kind of fest.

Sweet... I just checked the entertainment section and see that the bands for the afternoon session are bluegrass and reggae. That's fine with me!

So who's got tickets? I grabbed one, and some friends have bought, as well. Went to the Tavern last night for some Pickelschticker and they had brochures with last year's participants...looks awesome if they get the same breweries! Lots of NC micros, lots of American micros, and lots of European brews, including many Trappists.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Man, can't wait till I get home to check it out. I was perusing last year's lineup (I guess they were referring to the Durham festival) and it looked stellar.

Breweries Participating...
Asheville Brewing Co. Asheville NC www.ashevillepizza.com
Blue Ridge Brewing Co. Greenville SC www.blueridgebrewing.com
Carolina Beer & Beverage Co. Mooresville NC www.carolinablonde.com
Edenton Brewing Co. Raleigh NC www.edentonbrewing.com
Highland Brewing Co. Asheville NC www.highlandbrewing.com
Red Oak Brewery Greensboro NC www.redoakbrewery.com
Sweetwater Tavern & Brewery Centreville VA
Thomas Creek Brewing Co. Greenville SC www.thomascreekbeer.com
Redhook Ale Brewery Raleigh NC www.redhook.com
Moon River Brewing Co. Savannah GA www.moonriverbrewing.com
Rogue Ales Newport OR www.rogue.com
Hoegaarden Brewery Belgium
Sweetwater Brewing Co. Atlanta GA
Ska Brewing Co. Durango CO www.skabrewing.com
Victory Brewing Co. Downingtown PA
Terrapin Beer Co. Athens GA www.terrapinbeer.com
Smuttynose Brewing Co. Portsmouth NH
Ommegang Brewery Cooperstown NY
New Belgium Brewing Co. Fort Collins CO www.newbelgium.com
Unibroue Brewery Chambly Canada www.unibroue.com
King Brewing Co. Pontiac MI
Foothills Brewing Co. Winston-Salem NC www.foothillsbrewing.com
Azalea Coast Brewing Co. Wilmington NC www.azaleacoastbrewery.com
Oskar Blues Brewery Lyons CO www.oskarblues.com
Bison Brewing Co. Berkeley CA

NB is supposed to start coming east of the Mississippi in 2007, and be in full force with distribution in 2008.

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
ssweeeeeeet.. Highland is going to be there.

-walker

Highland's Cold Mountain Winter Ale is probably one of the BEST beer's I've ever had!

Cold Mountain Winter Ale

Our ever-changing spiced winter seasonal. A tasty brew that complements all your holiday festivities. It is typically malty in body, lightly hopped, and rounded out with spices that we vary from year to year.

Baron von BeeGee said:
The Oatmeal Porter hits the spot, too.

Indeed it does.

I also am a big fan of the Kashmir IPA and their staple Gaelic Ale.

I have not tried their Mocha Stout yet, but maybe I'll get the chance at the festival.

bootytrapper... are you attending this festival, too?

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
bootytrapper... are you attending this festival, too?

-walker

I dont' know yet. I've sent out a beacon to the SWMBO insisting this is a once in a lifetime event and that she M U S T L E T M E G O!

especially since fat tire is gonna be there:D

That is a very nice line up ya'll should have a falling down good time. I see Cabot Cheese is also there. If you like cheese try there hunters sharp or extra sharp. They are both excellent products.

Well, guys.

Since my wife is pretty sick from being pregnant, I don't want to leave her alone for a weekenend and I won't be going a climbing trip the last April weekend.

So I'm able to join you for the Beer Festival in Raleigh. Do you think they still have tickets?

Kai

Back