What do you use for a thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teej_810

Reaction score
What do you guys use for an accurate digital thermometer for all grain brewing? i recently lost faith in mine. here's what happened:

my last brew day i came to the realization that the digital thermometer (a cheap on $20 from Target) may not be so accurate. In the middle of the brew day about halfway through my brew day i noticed the temperature of the mash go from a steady 151 to slowly rise and it went up to 160+. I then decided to compare it to my old non-digital thermometer that i have always used before getting into all grain just to see how they compare. Well the digital one was reading a good 10-20 degrees more than my old one.

now i have only brewed a few batched with this digital thermometer and had decent results. I actually won 3rd place in a competition for my first all grain brew. So i knew it may have worked but it worries me that they differ this much and i'm not really sure which one to trust. What do you guys think

Mom works at a school cafeteria so I have an restaurant grade thermometer.

employee theft. atta girl mom!

Nope access to a different group of suppliers and a school/government discount.

We also abuse the power to get cases name brand stuff like cheese sticks and pizza rolls for less than you ever hope to find them wholesale.

Latest posts

Back