carbonating question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dheide

Reaction score
I got a question about carbonation. My first batch (which is bottled in plastic 1 liter bottles) was carbonating for 1 week when I got impatient and opened one up. It seemed plenty carbonated (even a little too much if you ask me), and tasted great, so I assumed they were all done. All the bottles were rock hard when squeezed. I have three in the fridge right now, and the remaining 4 in my closet. Now to my question - the 4 in the closet are still rock hard, but the three in the fridge are a little softer then when I put them in a few days ago. Is it normal for beer to lose carbonation when chilled? Or does it just seem like less cabonation because of the coldness? I'm trying different types of conditioning to see what I prefer, but have I ruined the three in the fridge?

Thanks in advance-
Dave

Yep. The pressure in the bottles is driven by the tiny amount of CO2 that isn't in solution. Chilling the bottle results in some of that little bubble dissolving, but since the average ale has 2-4 volumes of CO2 the impact is small.

Man, don't believe any of those guys. Your beer is way past screwed up now. Just send them to me!:drunk:

They sound fine. Although if the ones in the fridge are carbonated enough for you I would put the others in the fridge too. The cold makes the yeast dormant.

Back