FERMENT. temp too low ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollykraker

Reaction score
Brewed Morebeer.com blonde ale extract kit. Today is day 4 in fermenter. Looks great...

Using safale US 05 yeast... Using swamp cooler... Temps have ranged from 64-68 .... But accidentally dipped down to 62 for a bit... Will this have any effect taste wise?? My first ever brew...

I believe us 05 is good 59-74 or so range... Just being a paranoid noob

pollykraker said:
Brewed Morebeer.com blonde ale extract kit. Today is day 4 in fermenter. Looks great...

Using safale US 05 yeast... Using swamp cooler... Temps have ranged from 64-68 .... But accidentally dipped down to 62 for a bit... Will this have any effect taste wise?? My first ever brew...

I believe us 05 is good 59-74 or so range... Just being a paranoid noob

You will be fine, off flavor's come from fermenting at too high of a temperature. Remember the actual temp inside your fermenter will be higher. Anywhere from 3 to 10 degrees is what I have seen suggested on this site.
I myself have just two brews under my belt so I will defer to the more experienced brewers to correct my info if needed.
Slainte

greenhaze said:
You will be fine, off flavor's come from fermenting at too high of a temperature. Remember the actual temp inside your fermenter will be higher. Anywhere from 3 to 10 degrees is what I have seen suggested on this site.
I myself have just two brews under my belt so I will defer to the more experienced brewers to correct my info if needed.
Slainte

No worries.... Thanks for your input... U are ahead of me lol

I'm pulling temp reading off of fermometer sticker thermometer on side of carboy...

pollykraker said:
I'm pulling temp reading off of fermometer sticker thermometer on side of carboy...

I used to use them but found when they get wet they are hard to read. Now I have a regular thermometer that takes the temp of my water. I usually keep my water at 60 degrees which I find keeps my fermenter temps under control.
Slainte

greenhaze said:
I used to use them but found when they get wet they are hard to read. Now I have a regular thermometer that takes the temp of my water. I usually keep my water at 60 degrees which I find keeps my fermenter temps under control.
Slainte

And if not wet?? How accurate ?

I also have a floating thermometer in the water of swamp cooler .

What does the floating thermometer say? That is probably more reliable so long as you are not actively heating or cooling that water.

And assuming the thermometer is accurate to begin with, I suppose.

Thanks for replies... Still my initial question from post is about temp dropping to 62 on my blonde ale.. so any issues from this..

Wether thermometers are accurate or not is not what I want to know.

as long as you pitched an appropriate amount of yeast cells via starter I don't think 62 will hurt. fermentation temps being too high is just one of the causes of off-tastes. more accurately it can be said that stress causes them. if the temp is too low, that is another form of stress. You're only under the working temp range by a couple of degrees at 62, so I'd say that you're still safe. I've used 1056 (same strain) a number of times between 62-64 with no noticeable off flavours (though I do prefer it at 66)

neosapien said:
as long as you pitched an appropriate amount of yeast cells via starter I don't think 62 will hurt. fermentation temps being too high is just one of the causes of off-tastes. more accurately it can be said that stress causes them. if the temp is too low, that is another form of stress. You're only under the working temp range by a couple of degrees at 62, so I'd say that you're still safe. I've used 1056 (same strain) a number of times between 62-64 with no noticeable off flavours (though I do prefer it at 66)

Ok cool. My first brew so wasn't really sure. I've been between 64-68 whole time... Dropped to 62 just for a very brief time.

Thanks

It should have a positive effect on the taste.

I submerged a fermometer in my swamp cooler and it stopped working, so I stuck another one just above the water line, but still over the beer, of course. I don't measure the water temp, I just make sure the fermometer stays in the low 60s and my beer stays happy. IMO it's a lot cleaner tasting than fermenting at the higher end of the yeast's range.

It should have a positive effect on the taste.

I submerged a fermometer in my swamp cooler and it stopped working, so I stuck another one just above the water line, but still over the beer, of course. I don't measure the water temp, I just make sure the fermometer stays in the low 60s and my beer stays happy. IMO it's a lot cleaner tasting than fermenting at the higher end of the yeast's range.

Thank you so much for your response. Appreciate it, and put my mind at ease. I have been putting in 2 liter sized bottles of water frozen solid in swamp cooler water to keep temp down. it usually been staying on low end around 64.

6PM today is day 5 ! Beer is looking lighter color, and the Krausen looking very healthy. I just wasnt 100% sure if going on the cooler side would have any negative effect on taste... i know if TOO cold yeast activity can decrease.. but strain packaging says can go down to 59 so not worried.

was going to leave in carboy 2-3 weeks then bottle for 3 weeks

As long as you didn't pitch in the 80s and then let it cool, which a lot of first timers do - including myself LOL - you should have a fine beer.

Congrats on your first brew, by the way! :mug:

BeerCyclist said:
As long as you didn't pitch in the 80s and then let it cool, which a lot of first timers do - including myself LOL - you should have a fine beer.

Congrats on your first brew, by the way! :mug:

Ok... No I waited to pitch til was.cooled down.

ForumRunner_20121019_124533.png

Here is my first one going in its swamp cooler. House sits at 74 on regular... Have it in dark closet, swamp cooler keeps it at 64 right now

Back